AuthorTopic: What is the Arc System Works process?  (Read 2833 times)

Offline PostTransit

• GET BONUS
    • View Profile

What is the Arc System Works process?

on: June 17, 2011, 10:35:50 pm
Hey everybody, not sure if this is the right forum for this or anything, but here goes.

Anyway, I have been wanting to attempt to try and do an ASW-style animated sprite, but I don't really know the specs or details beyond the fact that they draw frames traditionally on paper and color them in the computer. I'm studying animation and such so I thought it might be at least worth giving a shot if it's not too costly. Does anyone know what else is involved in their creative process (computer specs, programs, steps I'm missing, etc.)?

Thanks!

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: What is the Arc System Works process?

Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 11:40:37 pm
They are the BlazBlue duders, right?
From what I just looked at it looks like they just scan stuff, clean it up with single pixel outlines and add very basic anime type shading to it. There does not seem to be any advanced pixeltech at all, such as AA or what have you. Very simple stuff process wise.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline PostTransit

• GET BONUS
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 11:58:51 pm
They are the BlazBlue duders, right?
From what I just looked at it looks like they just scan stuff, clean it up with single pixel outlines and add very basic anime type shading to it. There does not seem to be any advanced pixeltech at all, such as AA or what have you. Very simple stuff process wise.
AA = Anti-aliasing, right? How exactly does that work and what's a good example of something that uses it?

And yeah, they did games like Guilty Gear and BlazBlue.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 12:17:16 pm

That's a little image I did a while ago, it is not completed and I probably should write some article about aa sometime, but I do not have the time or energy atm to do so.

There are lots of things which have good AA, I dunno what would be an excellent example atm. You can look at the Dodonpachi thread in the Commercial Critique forum, that has some objects in the far backgrounds which have good aa.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.