AuthorTopic: [WIP] Blonde girl  (Read 12566 times)

Offline piffany

• View Profile

[WIP] Blonde girl

on: June 16, 2011, 09:38:24 pm

I'm trying to draw an angelic looking girl but not sure if I'm getting the anatomy correct. Excuse the roughness of the drawing; took me quite a while just getting it like this  :-[

Update:

Question for all you pixellers: When you draw from a reference, what steps do you follow to progressively improve your drawing? I haven't figured out an efficient system yet...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 02:49:01 am by piffany »
--Piffany
Disclaimer: I am still fairly new at pixel art, so please don't be offended by my negative critiques :)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Blonde girl

Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 09:50:21 pm
Firstly the neck looks too vertical try taking the bottom further to the left.
Did u sketch the face first? It might have been good to sketch it at normal angle first and rotate it and trace over, if u rotate now u will see an odd angle. But its not bad I'm sure u can fix it.
I don't think u should do so many lines and detail in hair at this stage, better to rough out the general blocks of shadow and highlights to get the form of the hair right.
Its not bad but hair highlights don't quite match the light in her face.
Since its angelic and u might end up with a beam of light, why not draw some light lines in to help urself out?
And lose the hair in front of her face it breaks up the outline of her cheeks and such and those curves are important to make it interesting.

Offline TheInquisitor

• Lookin' to Learn
    • View Profile
    • RJanes.co.uk

Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 11:02:46 pm
It's hard to nail down what expression you're going for here. At the moment she looks cross eyed, a little in pain and her neck looks broken. It's a severely strained position. She could be being hanged almost!

What sort of expression and emotion are you trying to convey?
Check out my portfolio site:
http://rjanes.co.uk

And my preferred place
http://www.rpg-palace.com

Offline piffany

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 11:30:47 pm
It's hard to nail down what expression you're going for here. At the moment she looks cross eyed, a little in pain and her neck looks broken. It's a severely strained position. She could be being hanged almost!

What sort of expression and emotion are you trying to convey?

The expression of being in severe pain due to being hanged by an invisible rope, obviously  :lol:
Joking aside, I think I should have started out with a more accurate drawing, so I put together some photos to base my new drawing on:

Will post my result later. Too tired to draw now.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 02:57:37 am by piffany »
--Piffany
Disclaimer: I am still fairly new at pixel art, so please don't be offended by my negative critiques :)

Offline piffany

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 02:46:51 am
Alright, new version:

Considering it's basically a trace over, it took pretty long cuz the expression kept looking weird. Please give your C&C (comments and critiques?) :)
--Piffany

Offline Candy Man Criminal

• ~Reality is a plague, we're the medication~
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 07:25:04 am
congratz on ditching the rope =D

so i think the brightest skin bit is too bright, or maybe the colors under it arent bright enough...
same goes for the hair, too

course its also entirely possible you just need to use less of your brightest colors

good work so far tho, keep it up =]

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 07:27:37 am
I think its good as a study, but as an artwork its hard to tell what you are getting at.
You have obviously put a lot of effort in and it shows, but she does not look like she is being hanged.

To be honest your concept sounds very difficult to pull off, especially with the canvas so limited to here face.
I think zooming rrright out to show the whole body hanging with feet pointing down would convey it much better.
and probably don't put so much effort into the initial draft.
Then u can always do a comic book style inset frame of a close up of the face if u really want that.
Even if the zoomed out frame remains a silhouette just to give the impression, it would contrast nicely with the close up, but u would obviously need much stronger light and shade...

Whichever way u go, I'm no expert but I definitely think u should start with simple blocks of colour, light and dark only, until u are happy with the whole composition, form etc.
Then start to detail and add shades of colour as u go.
I think most would agree that tracing over is not really art unless u do something really special to it, and I don't think its going to help u learn much that way either.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 07:32:07 am by Decroded »

Offline Candy Man Criminal

• ~Reality is a plague, we're the medication~
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 07:29:21 am
shes not supposed to look like shes being hanged, actually

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 07:34:12 am
Oh dammit lol.
Its hard to catch everything on this 4.3" screen.

Well ill just take that idea for myself then and be on my way then hehehe

Offline moket

• View Profile
    • human hacks

Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 10:03:31 am
You could tweak the colours so they will convey the materials you want to depict. (uh not sure of this is proper English ^^)
For instance the skin had a lot of nearly pure whites, this doesn't happen so much (sweat drops maybe?) . You could save those values for some highlights on the hairs.
Think about a hierarchy between materials, for instance metal tend to have desaturated highlights as opposed to human skin.
You can read about this here. Truly eye opening.
Also using pics taken from a camera as a ref is risky, camera don't convey lights as human eyes perceive it, lots of dark values are lost in the shadows.
Taking your own pics as a reminder could be the safe way to go.
Of course camera pics are super useful in order to reference shapes and compositions.(still you can have a lot of distortions)
I did a quick edit, mainly touching the colours there's still a lot of anatomic mistakes (but hell that kind of view angle is a nightmare).