AuthorTopic: WIP Tiles for a Game  (Read 4221 times)

Offline Armageddon

• View Profile

WIP Tiles for a Game

on: June 29, 2011, 04:41:53 am
Hello everyone I've started work on a small platformer game for fun, he's some of the tiles I've been making.

C&C Please! I used Arne's 16 color palette V20. And got the inspiration from this. My game isn't actually going to be set in Roman time though. http://alastairjohnjack.com/arvoesine.html

Offline questseeker

• View Profile

Re: WIP Tiles for a Game

Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 08:28:59 am
The base and capital of the column seem compressed or cut off: in real life their height can exceed the thickness of the column. Of course, adding something on top of the column (perhaps a statue?) would make it less strange. If you don't want a large capital, the column might be broken off at a certain height.

The water pool tiles have unsightly sharp corners at the bottom (very unlike the rock corners close by). Maybe these corners are a necessary evil of tiling, but consider improvements.

Below the water, rock has bizarre blue pixels. If they represent water filling a porous rock, shouldn't water replace the black of empty "cracks" instead of the grey of rock?

The plants are nice, but complex enough to be repetitive: use them less and/or introduce variations.

The rock and grass tiles are brilliant. The only thing that could be maybe improved is the appearance of 3 very regular rows per tile of almost equal-sized rocks, but I suspect a more random layout would look more obviously tiled.

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 09:16:21 am
did an edit of a few things.  I didnt have arnes pallete on hand so I just used the colors you alreay had there

I tried giving the column some volume since it looked too flat to me, and tried making the capital larger.

put in some vines under the ground to add a bit of interest

tried making the water more interesting.  Maybe thats not really nessecary though

also added in a second plant just to see how it would look with less monotomy, dont pay attention to that though I drew it in like 5 seconds.

I like the style with the black sky.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 09:21:00 am
I think the blue highlight on the rocks under the water looks good.

Offline xeokk

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 04:46:02 pm

also did an ediit.

used arne's palette v19. better contrast in my opinion.

edited the lightsource of the collumn to better fit the rest of the piece. also edited the water to look more.. watery and the plants to make them smoother.

edit:
just for fun :D
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 07:02:15 pm by xeokk »

Offline Armageddon

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 07:46:27 pm
Wow guys, thanks for all the edits and good feedback, I'll put it to use today. ;D

Offline Armageddon

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 11:19:41 pm
All righty, took most of the ideas from the edits and here is what I got,

I think it's looking much much better. Here is one with starts too.

Any more ideas? :) Also I have hardly made any characters in my life, and making one around the size of a 16x16 tile is pretty tough. If anyone could help me come up with ideas I'd love to hear them.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 11:21:30 pm by Armageddon »

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 08:35:31 am
if you intend on using the stars, make them less uniformly distributed, like in xeokk's edit, though I think in his edit the stars are too bright and are a little too distracting.  Maybe a purple or some color could look nice in the stars too.

Offline Armageddon

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 10:56:20 pm

I made a Ben.