AuthorTopic: [C&C] Three Amigos  (Read 3627 times)

Offline Chrispy

• View Profile
    • Chrispy's dA

[C&C] Three Amigos

on: June 16, 2011, 02:44:49 am
This is a picture of my cousins and me at my cousin's graduation.
Left is Bobby, middle is CJ, far right is me. I struggled a bit with CJ's face and robe, so there are probably quite a few errors there.

Reference
Comments? Critiques?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 04:22:20 am by Chrispy »

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Re: Three Amigos

Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 04:21:56 am
Sweet! Quick edit:

I omitted any work on yourself, because I think what I've done gives enough of an idea. The same principles I describe in the following should be applied to that third figure as well:

Be very mindful of angles. The brain tries to orient faces when it sees them to be front, centre, straight. You have to force yourself to see exactly the angle that the head is oriented and take the time to make sure the angles match up in your drawing.

Similar to angles, be mindful of proportions. Compare relative sizes of objects in the subject. You can run imaginary horizontal/vertical lines from landmarks along to other spots in the subject to see where things should line up. For example you can run a horizontal line from the bottom of CJ's nose along to the top of your nose. Things like that help you to line stuff up and get proportions correct across the image.

Consider how all the colours in an area that a single pixel is representing are going to merge when you translate it over to your piece. You can see this at work in my edit of CJ's eye. It's tempting to have a WHOLE PIXEL represent the little spec of white in the eye, but that pixel's job really should be to represent that whole area, so it actually should be much darker.

Offline Chrispy

• View Profile
    • Chrispy's dA

Re: [C&C] Three Amigos

Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 05:09:29 am
Thanks a lot for the critique and edit, EyeCraft. Very helpful.
Here's my updated version.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 05:23:13 am by Chrispy »

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 02:39:55 pm
Hey, good work!

...but you're cuter in the photo  :crazy:

Offline toaster

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 04:53:51 pm
Nice job. I really like it.
Two tips:
-Bobbys teeth. He laughs a little like he's got an overbite.  :angel:
-As Psiweapon said: Your head looks to cute. I think that's because it isn't tall enough.

Toaster

Offline piffany

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 06:38:53 pm
Whew! Portraits are hard! Here are some minor adjustments for all the amigos :)

--Piffany
Disclaimer: I am still fairly new at pixel art, so please don't be offended by my negative critiques :)

Offline Chrispy

• View Profile
    • Chrispy's dA

Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 08:43:14 pm
I like the edits to Bobby and CJ's faces, they look much more defined and accurate, however my face looks too small. Also there seems to be auto-antialiasing in bobby's hair and around my face XP

Offline piffany

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 09:03:45 pm
Yeah, your face looks smaller because I basically moved your cheeks closer to the centre of the face so it looks less pudgy :P
--Piffany
Disclaimer: I am still fairly new at pixel art, so please don't be offended by my negative critiques :)