AuthorTopic: Mentoring a Newbie.  (Read 2549 times)

Offline Nekron

• View Profile

Mentoring a Newbie.

on: June 15, 2011, 01:57:15 pm
Hey guys,

new here to Pixelation. Pretty new to pixel art also, I have been trying my hand at Pixel art and have found out I can make a pig...sort of(not even close). o.O I don't know if anyone would have spare time to mentor me? I don't have money I can pay you or anything, all I can offer you is my hardest work, one guy from the Terraria forums is trying to mentor me but he's not really doing a whole lot besides telling me to make X picture.

But yeah, if anyone has spare time or is interested in helping me out, that would be super awesome. I really love pixel art and would like to be good at it myself.

Thanks guys!

Offline Nekron

• View Profile

Re: Mentoring a Newbie.

Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 11:50:48 pm
Anyone? I really would love to get better and learn how to sprite correctly. I am dedicated and am on often trying to figure it out myself, which isn't working to well.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 01:07:09 am
I doubt it. Gaining skill is a personal journey. Let me ask you this - without a "mentor" would you rather not try?

Offline Nekron

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 01:07:54 am
No, I would still continue and at this moment I am trying on my own. I am just looking for guidance and help from an expert.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 01:17:09 am
Give it time. It often takes more than a single day for people to make responses here.

As for mentoring, I don't really have the time to offer myself up. But keep in mind the point of this forum; it's a place to get feedback and advice on your work. What's to stop you from working on something and showing it to the community where you can get feedback from everyone?

This has a number of advantages:
- It distributes the time demands over the community, instead of a single person
- You gain advice from multiple perspectives, reducing the chance of something being missed/inaccurate
- It makes the advice and process viewable by other people, so they may benefit as well

Aside from that, I can give you some advice that is going to be useful no matter what you choose to do:
- Build up your art fundamentals by reading art/drawing books and working in traditional media (pencil/paper). Pixel art is just another medium of art, and relies on art fundamentals just as much as any other media. If you have trouble drawing a pig, it makes sense to practice drawing.
- For an excellent primer in pixel-art-specific considerations, read this.

Best of luck, and welcome to the community.  :)