AuthorTopic: Hero of Allacrost: Enemy Sprite [C+C]  (Read 7122 times)

Offline Roots

• Engineers don't make for very good artists (-_-)
    • View Profile
    • Hero of Allacrost Homepage

Re: Hero of Allacrost: Enemy Sprite [C+C]

Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 02:38:10 am
I like Chris2balls' knee edit. I thought the original right knee was a sore point as well. I like the original pallete better though. The new one does make it look a bit more "scalely", but that's about the only clear benefit I see. The violet shades look a little weird to me... :-\

Hero of Allacrost, a 2D RPG for Windows, OS X, Linux
We are looking for additional pixel artists!!!

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 03:16:45 am
Really like the piece  :)

I think you've gotten a bit lost in the details, shading the individual forms of the muscles without consideration of the overall basic forms of the figure. Quick edit:

Basic thing to keep in mind is "brights stay out of the shadow, darks stay out of the lit areas." It's very easy to forget this when you start detailing.

His mouth also looks a little happy, almost like he's laughing. I snarled his face slightly.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 03:23:41 am by EyeCraft »

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 05:39:55 am
The palette, right now, is very monochromatic (especially yaomon's edit; sorry yaomon) and gets boring to look at pretty quickly. The lighting and anatomy is a bit off in places (for example the upper left--the sprite's upper right arm doesn't have a very good idea of what it's going or where it is). Try to focus on lighting before details.

...Aaargh, Eyecraft just did what I was going to do.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 11:47:47 am
I agree with comments about the knee, lighting and monochrome is not as exciting as maybe a pattern of another colour or 2.
I would love to edit if I could get to my computer (anyone selling a tablet??)
So definitely some things to improve on but knowing u ur probably into ur next sprite already hehe.
Keep it coming I'm keen to see whats next :-)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 12:10:07 pm by Decroded »

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 02:35:29 pm
Yes, but the my next piece won't be as exciting or interesting as this one :( it's going to be more powerful versions of some orcs and skeletons I already did, in FF6-ish style, for a roguelike that actually uses some animations. The skeleton is already done, I'm with the orcs now.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 08:46:22 pm
Ooo I like orcs, do share :-)

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 04:33:46 am
The palette, right now, is very monochromatic (especially yaomon's edit; sorry yaomon) and gets boring to look at pretty quickly. The lighting and anatomy is a bit off in places (for example the upper left--the sprite's upper right arm doesn't have a very good idea of what it's going or where it is). Try to focus on lighting before details.

Oh, Sorry. I thought monochromatic was more towards all 1 color. Could you explain my mistake? I really want to improve. Thank you very much.  :D

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 07:53:11 am

Oh, Sorry. I thought monochromatic was more towards all 1 color. Could you explain my mistake? I really want to improve. Thank you very much.  :D
A little bit of info about chroma:
 http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorfulness