AuthorTopic: WIP: Soldier game  (Read 13487 times)

Offline Koyot1222

• View Profile

Re: WIP: Soldier game

Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 12:53:45 pm
(...) but u r missing the point by just pasting it into ur artwork, rather u should look at what he did did try to work out how he did it so u can learn to do it urself.(..)
Dont worry, im also trying to figure it out how it was created :) Ive just pasted it and now im trying to make some other parts of the graphics as good or similar as player sprite was created :D

Or r u also looking for people to donate artwork?
No, i dont want to steal somones ideas.

So u r not trying to stick to amiga specs are you? Just something new that carries the feel of the retro games?
Ill, but as i wrote earlier, first i wanted to learn how to make pixel properly. Probably game in the future could use 32-64 colours, and it could be run on classic hardware and uae also.
Our latest "production" called treasure chest will be available for free soon :) It uses 32 colours and it can be run on even amiga 600 without any accelerator, or any amiga upgraded by graphics card.

As you can see, ive spent hours of drawing but latest view doesnt satisfy me. Im very glad that someone said how to get to the problem from the begining :)
Ive started from nothing, early concept:

Right now thers still plenty work to do. Thats i was started to think that good idea will be to chose another way of redrawing the old graphics.

This was the first amiga game i was working about:

As you can see there was nothing done properly from the begining :( But the concept wasnt so bad after all.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 07:19:18 pm by Koyot1222 »

Offline Koyot1222

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 09:08:52 pm
i was trying to add some more space.

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14966.htm
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile
    • Chris Kelsall's Pixel Portfolio

Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 09:36:38 pm
i like your archmade and treasure chest work!

those white pillars in your current mock-up are really bothering me. they're really distracting and i have the impression they're flattening the scene.

anyway, looking forward to more!
☑ Available for work     ☒ Unavailable for work
Check out my portfolio if you are looking for a pixel artist!

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 09:39:15 pm
A suggestion.

I'd like to see some more cracks running throughout the pillars overall. Right now some surfaces seem shiny, unbroken, and good as new, but a foot below have a huge chunk of destruction burrowed halfway through them. Surely it would be more evenly distributed somehow (or have a larger radius)?

Then I'd like to see lighter outlines inside the soldier, leaving darker ones reserved for shadows or the outer outlines, and perhaps larger pixel clusters to further improve readability. See EyeCraft's sprite edit. The cluster of pixels on the soldier's armored lower torso is larger, and there's a larger blob of flat color on the pants. Then the values on the helmet may be too bright, and comes off as either yellow-green (rather than green) or just really, really shiny.

By the way, you used some sort of filter to get those background planes didn't you? They're very jaggy but I suspect this will be fixed and can't wait to see what it'll look like polished up some more. Not to discourage you from working on the foreground elements, of course.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 09:46:55 pm by pistachio »

Offline Koyot1222

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 11:35:32 am
A suggestion. (..)
Very interesting ill try to consider that :)
Graphics update ;)

Another update

Feel free to coment.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 09:04:35 pm by Koyot1222 »

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: June 18, 2011, 01:54:25 am
I think the latest is a bit of a step backwards. You're losing the clean, sharp edged look taht made your original attempts so attractive. The dithering is flattening everything in the image because of how you're throwing the shadow into the highlighted areas with the dither pattern. If you look at things in real life, you'll see there is a noticable difference in the values found in a highlight and shadow. You might take a look at Henk Neiborg's Contra 4 contributions. He handles the destroyed cities really well and you might get some ideas out of it. I find it interesting how he chooses to focus on showing the destruction in specific spots. I think the contrast of the destoryed against the mostly surviving contruction is what really sells the effect.

I think you're losing the form of the helmet with all those speculars. You might be trying for dither, but it's really just obscuring the shape of the helmet

Aside from those, I really like the proportions of the characters. Very appealing and the mockup has a playful, dynamic quality.. Looking forward to your next update

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: June 18, 2011, 02:11:20 am
True crab2selout, but I also found the previous versions a little visually austere. The new gritty look is a good idea, but perhaps overstated. Everything is rather "noisy" now.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: June 18, 2011, 06:39:57 am
True crab2selout, but I also found the previous versions a little visually austere. The new gritty look is a good idea, but perhaps overstated. Everything is rather "noisy" now.

True. Frankly, I didn't mean that much of a radius, just, perhaps, a centimeter (not in actual scale, as it appears on the screen) more. And I didn't mean holes all over the place, more like cracks such as those you used to have in the concrete in the earlier version (but perhaps slightly less pronounced as it gets further away from the wreckage):

Right now everything is just bullet holes. Or maybe overdone stylistic dithering. Just saying, they all look like bullet holes. If you're not faint-hearted, or very emotional, consider looking at real destruction for reference.

Also, the flag on the right is off perspective-wise, and pops out too much. Unless it's, say, important to the storyline somehow--maybe it's the flag of an allignment or government you're against--I'd suggest letting it reside in the cool color scheme you already have going on.

Edit? Probably.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 11:39:14 am by pistachio »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: June 18, 2011, 08:12:00 am
Mate I tHink this is coming along great and I'm really interested to see how it goes.
I agree with all the recent comments.
You need to recede the closest background a little more and bring out the foreground that the player is actually on as that is more important and should be clearly visible to the player at the edge of the view as watching for enemies and incoming bullets is more important.
hues, brightness and contrasts are the most obvious that well help here but also as others said, limitthe noise and "fine detail" of the background so it is not competing for attention with the sprites.

Offline Candy Man Criminal

• ~Reality is a plague, we're the medication~
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: June 18, 2011, 08:18:58 am
i was trying to add some more space.

i think you should start back at this one and add a much smaller amount of grit
some cracks, bullet holes, general dirt and weathering

right now your scenery is screaming while it should just be a background chatter