AuthorTopic: WIP: Soldier game  (Read 13483 times)

Offline Koyot1222

• View Profile

WIP: Soldier game

on: June 14, 2011, 11:37:59 am
Probably usual part:
Hello :) Im new here :)

Unusual part:
Ive started to think about creating new graphics for classic new amiga game.
This is very early project, i was thinking that maby some profesionalist could look on it and teach me how to pixel graphics for it properly. I just started to use as less colours as it possible. Maby someone have good idea how to improve it. Of course the game would be very ascetic, just few colours, 320x240 resolution, i dont realy know if there will be paralax support.
i was watching old amiga game for reference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFtf8FSkRGs

After that ive made somthing like that:

I was trying to make some graphics for some amiga games earlier, like Archmage or Diver(aka Tereasure chest). Some people said that graphics for those games was quite acceptable, but it makes me such long time to invent the way how to draw those graphics and prepare them. Thats why im looking for people who could help how to prepare new graphics properly from the begining.
Thanks for any help post.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 08:07:27 pm by Koyot1222 »

Offline pgil

• View Profile

Re: Soldier game

Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 04:05:34 pm
Looks like imageshack ruined your mockup  :(

try imgur or photobucket.  They don't mess with your images after you upload them.

Offline Koyot1222

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 05:52:39 pm
<a href="http://imgur.com/YkHPp" title="Hosted by imgur.com">http://imgur.com/YkHPp.png[/url]
Direct link: http://i.imgur.com/YkHPp.png

maby this would be bether :)

Offline Joe

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 07:15:44 pm
One more step, put it in between image tags and it shows up like this

But of the piece itself, first thing that stands out to me is that the sidewalk has two points of perspective, one from the left and one from the right.  But in this perspective you've chosen, the lines should all be parallel.  Oh, and another thing.  You re-sized your image to 2x before you uploaded it so we could see better, but you don't have to.  This forum has a zoom function where you click to zoom in, ctrl+click to zoom out.  Here's a small edit where I also suggested some cracks in the sidewalk:

Offline Koyot1222

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 07:38:19 pm
wow, now its looks a lot better. Thankyou, ill try to fix it, this is very good idea :)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 08:42:35 pm
Mate, please can you edit your original post (press the button at top right with "a][") and put the correct image in there instead of that compressed one you have.
Also, please don't scale up the image with bigger pixels, in this forum you can click/shit-click on the picture and it scales it up and down so please just post it at 1:1 pixels.

Offline Koyot1222

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 08:11:10 pm
Ive made some more changes:

Littlebit more futuristic, i found also more interesting palette to use.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Re: WIP: Soldier game

Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 04:35:13 am
Oh nice, I like the direction you moved in.

I started this edit the other day before realising you wanted to work with a really restricted palette:

Regardless, the concepts I applied I feel are still very relevant. They are:

- Priority. Sprites should take visual priority over backgrounds. Lowering the contrast and colour dynamic of your backgrounds and increasing them in your sprites helps this.
- Interest. Your player will be looking at the player sprite a lot, so it should be interesting to look at. Rounding out the form with stronger lighting, adding interesting colours and just boosting detail in general are all positive things for a sprite.

If you want to translate these concepts over to an extremely limitted palette, you'll have to make a few sacrifices, most likely to detail. But it's better to have a lower detail, but colourful sprite, and lower detail but correctly-prioritised background than it is to not have those things but have lots of detail across all elements.

What I mean is, have nice colourful colours in the palette JUST for sprites, and then lower-key ones for backgrounds that may also find some roles in the sprites. This will mean you have less total colours available for the background (resulting in less tools to render detail with), but you will have much more functional graphics.

I hope that makes sense...  :-[

Offline Koyot1222

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 05:08:31 am
Wow, im so amazed by your vision of player sprite  ;D Thankyou, ill paste it into my work and ill try to use your advices about painting background.

I found also some interesting tutorial about pixelart basics. Ill study them and ill try to redrawn all sprites also useing your advices.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 10:35:13 am by Koyot1222 »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 12:08:41 pm
Your background is looking good Im interested now to see where its going.
I agree that eyecrafts's sprite looks fantastic but u r missing the point by just pasting it into ur artwork, rather u should look at what he did did try to work out how he did it so u can learn to do it urself.
Surely that is more rewarding.

Or r u also looking for people to donate artwork?

So u r not trying to stick to amiga specs are you? Just something new that carries the feel of the retro games?