AuthorTopic: c64 Android  (Read 2687 times)

Offline AnnIshman

• View Profile

c64 Android

on: July 16, 2011, 08:35:02 pm

It is indifferent that it is nothing but a floating head.

I know there is banding here. I can identify these things, however I am still incapable of fixing it. Help there would be appreciated. The line around the nose and separating the cranium from the face is meant to make it clear that these are two different pieces. As in the head/nose is one sheet of metal and the face is a separate piece. I don't think I have succeeded at communicating this.

Any and all other thoughts or crits welcome.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: c64 Android

Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 11:32:19 pm
Nice start. (disclaimer to everyone except AnnIshman: me and Ishman have chatted on IM about this)

If the light comes more or less from the right the top right of the dome-head should be light as well, the curve as is atm makes no sense.
Same goes for the lighting on the bottom and middle of face. It looks like a angled surface more than something that is curved.

Here is a cleanup/edit I made from an earlier version

- I first tried to get a clear base shape, without any lighting at all.
- Then I added some lighting, just the basics. Since you got C64 colours here dithering is more or less needed if you want a smoother gradient (which looks less metallic tho, on the other hand)
- I made the eyebrows a basically the same colour as the rest of the head, because i thought having dark ones made them look odd. They could be darker metal or rubber in yours, but I did not think it works. Also decided to not give any shading to the mouth thing in front, it could just be flat.
- I also edited your eyes, because I thought they looked odd how they were hudding the black corners of them. Also the shading on a lightsource did not make much sense. In the end I reintroduced the pupils, I think that works quite well.
- Dither and all that, not really much to say here, just dither inbetweens. Basically only used 25/50/75% dithers.
- I also added some AA, not a whole lot as the palette does not allow it.

I hope this helps. :)

There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline AnnIshman

• View Profile

Re: c64 Android

Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 07:03:16 am
Very informative. Thank you!

I studied over your edits and gave it my best to try some things out. It was very challenging to not make it look like a copy paste and instead follow the spirit of the edits. I think I failed there, but I at least gave it the effort. Completely redid the purple sacks using your lighting as a guide in the new direction. I didn't go too crazy on the AA. Mostly as I am exhausted and need to go to bed.