AuthorTopic: Bronze  (Read 9270 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Bronze

on: May 11, 2006, 01:26:06 am
and now for something completely different, a bronze statue of a black man

basically what ive tried to do is use 16 colors (actually ive only used 15 so far) to create the illusion of dozens of colors.  I also wanted to take a break from the anime-styled game art ive been doing and go back to realism for a trip.  the palette has some new colors too, since i had to choose carefully.  if people are wondering, im not going to dither this piece because i felt that the texture was undesireable and it destroyed the 'shininess' by shattering highlights.  may ill work it into the shadows, but i think this one is going to stay as blocks of color without too much blending (though i tried to fit as much textures as i could, probably could have done more...)

concerns? critiques? random comments?

btw colors are keeping with my view of the world as being highly saturated an composed of all colors woven together.  im open to suggested changes, but i want to keep the saturation levels pretty high :P
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Re: Bronze

Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 01:32:03 am
That is sweet. The colors you used gave a truly bronze feel to it. Did you use a reference? As far as criting, his collar (> side) and his necklace could use some AA from your other tones, some of their edges are quite sharp (near white to that purple tone you used for example). Also is that a scar over his eye? That is still so freaking awesome though >_<...

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 01:33:46 am
The colors you've used are stunning. One thing I see is that his nose seems to break the perspective. It looks as though we're viewing it from straight on. If his head was tilted, both his nostrils would not have the same proportions.

How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 01:36:51 am
angle nose...smooth necklace and collar.....got it :) (i think also i managed to shrink the collar on that side, so i need to edit to make it bigger anyway)

when i get a few more suggestions ill make an edit, thanks guys :P

EIDT: forgot to mention, i used a sketch i did in trig today as a reference.  here it is:
no reference for the sketch, just boredom.  also i wasnt really trying to follow the sketch, i more started with it and went from there
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 01:51:03 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 02:18:59 am
sweeeet, excellent texture and colors, just brilliant. I pretty much love everything about it, espec. the hair, very well done!

The cheek looks a bit strange, theat dark path looks a bit overdone, works better in your sketch.

Anyhow, great work

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 02:26:50 am
Ooh. I love it. Yeah, fix the nose, it looks like it's facing the wrong way. And the brightest colors on the face is too bright for my tastes, but if you want it that way sure ok.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 02:57:52 am
I saw this almost as soon as you posted, and didn't want to reply without having at least some minor crit to bring to the table. A truly stunning piece, phenomenal colour choice, excellent metallic effect... you get where I'm heading. Pure love.

Two very minor crits, one of which is the nose, and Godslayer already mentioned that. The other is more of a concern than a crit, really, and it involves your choice of purple as a near dark. Given your obvious understanding of colour, I'll assume it was an intentional aesthetic choice, but after some minor playing, I found that, for me, a dark teal helps maintain more of a bronzy look.

In all seriousness, though, you know a helluva lot more about colour than me, so I wouldn't take this suggestion too seriously.

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 04:28:43 am
The head seems almost too round, and the nose looks out of perspective [already said; but it's the first thing I noticed]

Other than that it's spectacular :) the green comes out a bit harsh and not nearly as subtle as the rest of the random colors [well, they may not be random, but I suppose to me they are]. Pretty lovely

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 04:32:34 am
Fenomenal. I though i was looking at a photo at a first glance. I find it hard to believe you did the surface without reference, but i'll believe nonetheless.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 10:26:37 am
ok, im getting a lot of the same suggestions on pixeljoint too, thanks everybody for taking the time, ill try to get an edit done this afternoon addressing:

back of head is too round/elongated   -   needs shrinking
nose is broken to the left our right   -   needs redrawing
scar is hard to identify   -   needs cleaning
necklace and callar as jagged   -   needs smoothing and some redrawing
left cheek is too pronounced   -   needs to be brought back in a little

if i missed any suggestions, just let me know :P

@ trem: realistically, a dark teal does work better, but i like having blues in the shadows, and its also to make sure theres a representation of a blue color in this.  in the edit, ill post 2 versions and we can see what people like more (since art is about looking good to the viewer)
A mistake is a mistake.