AuthorTopic: WIP: HEY! Watch out!  (Read 5552 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

WIP: HEY! Watch out!

on: June 13, 2011, 04:54:57 pm
I started this yesterday and I thought I finished it last night but I am really unhappy with the last leg of the image.

The last thing I added was Link(dude in green) and I think he's ruining everything. I'm mostly happy with the rest of the image, but I am certainly not happy with him. The original idea was to have him ignorantly walking around, unaware that anything was hiding behind him in the shadows. My concern though is that he's messing up the lighting and I can't do anything with his pose that complements the rest of the piece.

I was thinking of ditching the unaware idea and have him turned around in an action pose, which would compliment the lighting as his face would no longer be visible to the viewers, thus I can black out his back without losing anything.

References:
http://www.ocarinaoftime.net/queen_gohma_pic.jpg
http://www.zelda-infinite.com/z-images/gohma.jpg

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Re: WIP: HEY! Watch out!

Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 05:25:01 pm
turn his head into another direction, it makes him look less focussed. then have him hold his sword down (nearly vertical) to enhacne this feeling; extend the canvas or move link more into the picture if necessary.

Then there's indeed the lighting, I'd expect link to be lit from the back (because of the fairy and mosnter and stuff) and mostly gray / dark blue in this dim blueish light; perhaps have the green and yellow shimmer true in the rim light though to make sure people get the actual colours.

The monster looks too brightand you may wish to add some shady unclear stuff / details in the black area on both sides as they currently more feel like cropping the image into a square rather than part of the image.

Just some suggestions :) I really like the shapes and detail going on for all the rest

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 06:03:08 pm
I think it would add a little more interest if link were almost looking over his shoulder, as if he had just heard something and was about to turn to see it. Maybe the leg floats too far away from Goma to the right (might be more confusing for those not familiar with her anatomy). You could increase the canvas size to up the distance between link and Goma, then move her leg a little closer (down and left). I think darkening Goma's pupil a bit would help the eye read a little better as well. Link's anatomy is a little off, the lack of neck (collar should be a bit lower and looser and expose the neck, looks more like a polo than a tunic atm), and his arm holding the sword looks really short. I might also consider adding some speculars near the face or front of claws (keyword 'might', it might be fine without)

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 06:04:59 pm
Very nice!

Digging this a lot, I am a big Zelda fan (but who is not) very nice feeling overall

However, Like Trev. said, would be nice if he could probably look right at you instead of just away. Link is not stupid! He would be looking for the boss around the room cos he knows it is there. Right now it looks like he just stands there like a lemon. Personally I would take away somewhat of the childish look in his face, it looks a little squashed together, maby space both his eyes and mouth more apart.
The wrinkles on his clothes looks a bit wierd also. I would suggest you cleaned it up a bit.

I would give some body parts of the "boss" some more contrast, somewhat different from the cliffs around him. The lower part is blending in just a bit too much.

Really nice start!

good luck
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 06:06:42 pm by coffee »

Offline Jetrel

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 01:47:58 am
The primary problem with link is his brightness.

You're coloring him with his "standard/naive" colors, as though he's a regular, non-color-shifted sprite from a zelda game.  Your scene is much darker than any scene in a sprite based zelda game would be, even a cave.  If your scene is going to be "darker than normal", link needs to be as well.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 02:59:54 am
It looks awesome but I doubt that big heavy thing could get that close to link without him noticing unless there was a waterfall between them or something - would actually be a great place for a giant crab thing to hide and pounce on unsuspecting thirsty wildlife...
Otherwise u could just have link on the left facing right so u can still see his face.
Or u could make that left bit of cave as more of a pillar typ corner in the tunnel so link cautiously approaching from around the corner. Then he could be still facing us but about to make a 180 to his left.
This would involve more space on the left of canvas and less on the right to balance it.
It would be cool if in the left tunnel, the fairy doubles as his light source - like a flying torch so his hands are freed up for sword and shield...

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 04:21:45 am
Alright, here's an edit going in the direction that works with the lighting. It's not done yet, as I still haven't been able to work in the sword, but I hope it's going in the right direction now.

It's a bit sad to have to get rid of my original idea for this piece, with Link being totally unaware of what was behind him, but I just don't see how I'd get it going with no light on his face.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 08:48:42 am
It's a bit sad to have to get rid of my original idea for this piece, with Link being totally unaware of what was behind him, but I just don't see how I'd get it going with no light on his face.

I think you can easily save the idea. With the new lightning, Link no longer draws attention. If you flip him so that his back is turned away from the real danger and give him something link-esque to do (here, teasing bats), you'd retrieve the original idea.

I'm far away from your skills, but I've got the feeling that the fairy' wings could be bent differently to convey more surprise and make it look like actually facing the danger.

Offline The 7th Sin

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 01:31:23 pm
Alright, here's an edit going in the direction that works with the lighting. It's not done yet, as I still haven't been able to work in the sword, but I hope it's going in the right direction now.

Hey man,
I'm glad to see that you have corrected the lighting situation. (the first rendition of this piece of was in need of some correction.)
However, I think your ideas and effort have been misplaced. 
Initially Link was easily identifiable, what with his distinctive green tunic, sword, shield, blue eyes, pointed ears and cap, all in full view.
Now, I have serious difficulty identifying Link, all I have to go off of are, 3 green highlights and his shield;  His hair looks confusing to me, it doesn't read as hair, and the rest looks far too dark to make out any identifying details.
I would recommend either turn Link towards the audience again and add a lighting source, (perhaps some torches?), to ensure that better lighting is present.
Or just bring the lighting up a shade or two to better reflect the details in the piece.

I'm loving the way this piece is coming along, good luck. ;)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 08:44:33 pm
Adding a light source like a torch would ruin the whole effect, imo. However PypeBros gave me an idea -- Gohma had many baby gohmas that distracted Link during the fight, I could possible use them to give a good reason to pull Link's attention away. However, there is still a problem with the light source... then again they also have blue stingers which could be bioluminescence and that could work since they're usually very weak sources of light(enough to see Link's face I suppose). I will see.