AuthorTopic: Pixel font  (Read 3783 times)

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Pixel font

on: June 12, 2011, 04:31:10 pm
To keep it short and simple, I've been working on a monospaced pixel font for a while now, and I'd like some feedback on it. Here's the font:

And here are the characters as seen in the image above:
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
.,!?:;<>+-*/\|=_#'"~§$%&()[]{}`´^°@µ‹›«»
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Re: Pixel font

Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 06:10:40 pm
The y, N, and Z look a bit off because of the jagged lines in the latter two and that cluster in the former.

A possible fix-

Otherwise, it's pretty solid. Not much else to critique with a font.

Offline spektre

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 06:11:26 pm
It's very clean and readable. What's the application for it?

I for one prefer the asterisk to be centered vertically, and the underscore to hug the bottom, but that's just personal preferences. I also like zeroes with a dot inside in place of the diagonal line. If I should be picky, the diagonal on the N is a bit wonky, but I can't see how it would be improved.

Edit: Phlakes edit made those points a lot better.

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 06:44:25 pm
The y, N, and Z look a bit off because of the jagged lines in the latter two and that cluster in the former.

I agree on the N and the y (not even sure why I didn't touch up the y) and will do something about it. I'll need to play around with the N a bit. Your fix works, but I don't like it for some reason (just a matter of taste; my font after all, sorry :P). I won't be touching the Z though. I think it works well as it is.

It's very clean and readable. What's the application for it?

I will be using it on a website and possibly for some games I'll be working on (solo projects).

I for one prefer the asterisk to be centered vertically, and the underscore to hug the bottom, but that's just personal preferences. I also like zeroes with a dot inside in place of the diagonal line. If I should be picky, the diagonal on the N is a bit wonky, but I can't see how it would be improved.

Matter of taste, I guess. Mind you, though, the underscore basically does hug the bottom; but not the very bottom. It ends where the descender starts.

I'm still unsure about the §, personally. I already tried a few alternate versions, but they didn't look quite good either. Anybody have any ideas possibly? In case you want to give it a try: characters can be a maximum of 6*9 pixels in size, capitals are usually 5*5; that makes another 2 at the top and 2 for the descender, and another pixel in width in case you need it (although that additional one is being used as a one pixel space for most characters).

Edit:

Touched up the y and the §. I couldn't find anything suitable for the N yet, might have to stick with Phlakes' suggestion or my one. I added an alternate y next to the z, I'm not quite sure yet which one I should use. I'm also more happy with the § now. I tried removing the two "bold" pixels so it'd end up only being diagonal intersections, but it wasn't as readable anymore, so I left it that way.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 06:58:20 pm by Crow »

Offline piffany

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 07:08:15 pm
The small f might look cleaner without the rightmost pixel (at the end of the "hook").
--Piffany
Disclaimer: I am still fairly new at pixel art, so please don't be offended by my negative critiques :)

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 07:53:37 pm
The small f might look cleaner without the rightmost pixel (at the end of the "hook").

You're right. I've considered changing it before, but came to the conclusion that it's not a problem, considering that this is a font and the f is the only letter with these specific characteristics, which makes it look like an f even if in doubt. Thanks, though :)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 01:39:58 pm
Font looks good.
I like Phlake's capital N and Z edit better though.

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 07:43:02 pm

I decided to go with Phlakes' N, after all. I just couldn't find anything else that'd look good. I also went with the second version of the y. I will, as I've already said, not touch the Z. I'd rather not use the exact same pixels from other users (the N from Phlakes), but I'm afraid that at a scale this small, there's nothing else I can do.