AuthorTopic: Monster sprite C&C welcome  (Read 3084 times)

Offline DungeonDan

• View Profile

Monster sprite C&C welcome

on: June 12, 2011, 04:57:26 am

Just wanted alittle feed back on this

Offline Roots

• Engineers don't make for very good artists (-_-)
    • View Profile
    • Hero of Allacrost Homepage

Re: Monster sprite C&C welcome

Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 05:27:30 am
I love the shading you did on the top of the mushroom, but the bottom looks incredibly bleak in comparison. I'd try throwing in another shade or two to give the stem more texture. Also that splotch of light grey on the very bottom doesn't make any sense to me. If its there to be showing detail of some feature of the stem, its not coming through. But you otherwise did an excellent job here. Just improve the shading on the stem and I think it'll look fantastic. You might also want to play around with adjusting the size/shape of the eyes as well.

Hero of Allacrost, a 2D RPG for Windows, OS X, Linux
We are looking for additional pixel artists!!!

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 09:46:10 am
Hi DungeonDan

I love mushroom people! However, a lot needs to be done for it to look like you want it too.

To begin with, you need to have a look at the lineart(I take it, it is a lineart) and smoothen the lines a bit at the top bit aswell as just at the bottom. With the angle you got + the shapes, makes it a bit wierd.
I am also concerned about the dots and colours used. I suppose you dont want your sponge to look like it got glowing laps all over his head :) It would be enough with just 2 colours, 1 for the dots and 1 for AA.

I made this edit to show you how to give it just a bit more character and to clean up the shading + colours:

good luck mate!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 08:03:41 pm by coffee »

Offline DungeonDan

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 02:53:42 pm
Thanks for the feed back been working at my art trying to improve and i have a bit but im not great just yet and i like the tiny legs and arms there so cute and the shadeing is done nice in they edit Thanks for the help will post a  update soon

Offline DungeonDan

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 02:18:55 am
Here some animations im doing still working on fixing his top i think the shading looks a bit better

just a small walking movement for the south dir

This is so the monster can blend in with his surrounding makeing it more stealthy

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 01:36:59 pm
Haha he makes me laugh thats cool.
Blend in? With a bright purple poka-dotted head? Poor little guy.

Anyway I think you should look back at what coffee did by defining a light source first of all.
Yours is kinda hard to read and direct frontal light source is boring.