AuthorTopic: Panda's campaign thing :0  (Read 12314 times)

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Panda's campaign thing :0

on: August 18, 2005, 08:20:44 am
  Alright, I'll try to make this without sounding cheesy at all.

As probably lots of you, pixelation was what made go into pixelart, and go deep into it (without any subtle meaning of course)
At times I pretty much disagreed with the whole concept it had, its system etc, even thought about taking a rest from pixelation.
But after this huge break without it, I just kept thinking about it, and I miss that pixelation I found when I first joined, all those community projects going around, the groups thing, and that community feeling.
So now that I got a chance, I would like to help.

While I think "promising" is something too hard to say and actually do, at least I'll try my best to bring back that feeling, that pixelation we had before, but at the same time, something newer. A mix of the "old and new era"
  I pretty much have in mind, quite a few activities already, weekly and seasonal; lotteries and contests, and much more.
  Also that so talked community game, if well managed and with enough interest, could be produced; and even could be made as a little competition to spice it up, so people push themselves, learn and have fun at the same time
(but that can be talked later :P).

Now as for the technical part, I can pretty much say that I'm around the forum quite a lot  (check the forum stats to see who has been the most online around ::) ); so people can approach to me easily (via PM or something similar, and even in either English, Spanish or Japanese!) if needed. I read all the posts and threads as they are made so I pretty much know what's going on, and could even interact with it.

And uhmm that's pretty much all I can say from the top of my head right now, but you get the point.
So that's what I give. Now take or leave it :0

Offline sedgemonkey

• Gimme gimme gimme
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Joint

Re: Panda's campaign thing :0

Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 04:33:55 pm
So when do the smear ads start?  I wanna see candidates trash each other.

Panda:  You sound very into it. Good luck.  Some of the stuff you are mentioning that you want to implement sounds like things you can do without any special position.  I don't think there's any real rules (forgive me if I'm wrong) against posting collaboration projects.

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 04:36:57 pm
It's great to have people who are multilingual. Unfortunately I am not. Visitors from Japan are almost non-existant on our forum. If you become a representative, I hope you can encourage even more international participation on the forum. :)

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 07:05:39 pm
sedgemonkey: Thanks, though I dont believe in luck.
As for what you mentioned, What makes you think that whatever the candidates say cannot be done without a special position?
I like to think that this whole thing is pretty much for adquiring a special motivation rather than a special position.
It's just another (candy coated) stick-and-carrot system. You get the responsability of having to "take care" of the community and represent them, but adquiring that special position is what keeps you going. (As an example, why would you work for free if you can work earning money?) Pretty much, just playing with that "power-sick" part of the human nature. Now not looking like a tyrant is what makes you a good "superior"
Anyway, I just carried it off topic :P

Peppermint Pig: Thanks, we'll see what I can do

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 07:51:44 pm
Smear threads? no. Honestly, if I weren't running, I would support panda, I think he's a worthy candidate, that has demonstrated maturity and tact, and I wish him luck with the campaign. Besides, smear threads are ridiculous, there are 4 seats, and these officials will have to work together, why create problems with people you might be working with?
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 08:06:17 pm
Panda is very wise! You're right, it is alot to do with perception and motivation. It's not much different than bringing on mods, but it lets people do it for a specific period of time that is convenient for them. Moderating takes time out of doing art. Coming up with challenges adds to it. By splitting off the duties in a more reasonable manner, it's going to save time. Honestly, not everyone is 'mod' material, and please don't take that negatively! People can come up with great challenges and not be moderators! :)

Offline sedgemonkey

• Gimme gimme gimme
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Joint

Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 11:26:44 pm
I understand breaking up responsibilities and motivating people to work on things. That is definitely a great part of this  whole thing and hopefully it will result in dedicated help for the forum.  What I was getting at is that I think it would kind of suck if the only thing driving people to collaborate is a taste of power. Heh. ;D

Even if you are not part of the mod or 'temporary member council' (sorry, forget what it's called) you could still be an active part of a community and present all kinds of neat ideas right? 

In any case, all hail Panda and his glorious vision for the board!

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 01:45:30 am
Haha.. taste of power >:D If someone comes to power and becomes some sort of power hungry thug, well... you voted for them. (LOL, I'll think about this issue.. I'd hate to see impeachments.)

And correct. There's absolutely no reason why people cannot come up with and act on ideas on their own.

With the continually declining moderator presence, it's better to leave activities in the hands of those who anticipate being active for the 4 months it requires: The Surge Effect(tm), heh. Moderators should only really focus on more serious user problems, things that are more or less unquestionable offenses. While justice is no small thing, giving representatives some authority to conduct tribunals on less severe or more questionable behavior was one of the tertiary reasons for the system. If it's by nature a questionable offense, then it should be followed by review through some type of peerage.

But ultimately, the position should fill people with a motivation. It really is like a 1/2 mod job and we'll see how well it goes. As the moderators have their own 'invisible' system of protocol, there will be a similar one for reps, so it's not total chaos when the four horsemen decide to reign over our cozy forum.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005, 04:03:25 am
Panda gets my vote...........whenever the election is.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 20, 2005, 08:01:43 pm
What types of challenges and activities do you believe are the best for the forum? Is there a way that activities can be designed in order to attract new members, or perhaps aimed towards a particular type of member, such as Doll editors, Editor/Rippers, or Demoscene/Retro enthusiasts? How about attracting an 'ideal' member: What does that mean to you? Thanks!