AuthorTopic: I want to see your paper stuff  (Read 2265 times)

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

I want to see your paper stuff

on: June 09, 2011, 07:47:04 pm
So, recently, I've been contacted by an artist or two wanting to work with me on a game. The first guy had to drop me because of other projects, but I was okay with that. The second contacted me through newgrounds. Now, naturally I wanted to see a portfolio or something so I looked through his submissions. They weren't bad really. But I wanted to check on something. I asked to see if he could send me something from his sketches, real life stuff. At first he didn't know what I was talking about, but after I made it clear, he said he'd try even though I was feeling that they didn't look good. (even though I assured him that it would look better then mine) That was a week ago. I sent him a pm just now but I don't think I'll get an answer back.

So, my question here, is, why? If I have the good fortune of being contacted by another artist wanting to work with me, I would very much like the best argument that I can make for it without sounding like a total d-*. The reasoning I'm currently going with is one that I've been told before: I want to see if you have the fundamentals down. Is that being too rude or something? What else should I ask look for?  Does it matter if it's paid/unpaid? Shouldn't right?

Edit: Oh hey, I got a pm back!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 08:29:31 pm by xhunterko »

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Re: I want to see your paper stuff

Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 11:52:04 am
The point of getting your fundamentals down is to make it show through the pixel work.

Offline piffany

• View Profile

Re: I want to see your paper stuff

Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 03:16:18 pm
If you ask for both pixel work and sketches upfront, maybe the artist wouldn't feel like you're asking to see more stuff only AFTER you've seen his pixel work and possibly think it's not up to your expectation. Just a suggestion.
--Piffany
Disclaimer: I am still fairly new at pixel art, so please don't be offended by my negative critiques :)