AuthorTopic: Roman Man  (Read 6047 times)

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Roman Man

on: June 09, 2011, 04:36:45 am
Some sprites for a game. Any comments appreciated.

Offline Ovyx

• View Profile

Re: Roman Man

Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 04:52:30 am
WOAH! Very dynamic walk cycle.  :o

Have you considered a more dramatic helmet concept? This one is a little bit too anti-climatic IMO.

Offline 8bitbeard

• View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 08:13:46 am
I really like where you are heading with this. The posture is really good, also the proportions work well (if you intend to make this a kinda bulky, brute guy)
However, I'd think about adding some white for the eye. Without the helmet the "blackness" works well, however with the helmet on your loosing a little bit too much of the facial features for my taste - I'd try to clean up the facial area a bit to make it more readable. Is that a mustache?

The right leg looks a bit weird. I think you are trying to have him look aggressive even in the standing stance, which works nicely, but I think if you could pull the right foot a bit to the right you could make him look much more "stable".

And I agree, while I like the Helmet I'd try how it looks like with one of these typical centurion mohawks on top

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 09:02:20 am

An edit I've made, I've tried to:
  • Messed with skin tone; looks more like flesh less sickly
  • Fix his back posture
  • Make his standing position look more comfortable (instead of knees being bent; looks very awkward)
  • Give more character to him (I tried to go what I think you wanted, I hope I've done fine)
  • Give a more definite light source
  • Fix a few anatomical errors to the best of my knowledge
Take what you will from this edit. I hope it helps you.

Offline 8bitbeard

• View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 11:07:59 am
nice improvements!
The ear is now really off. Way too far at the backside of his head and much too high.
I like the new right leg, this works much better now.
I personally think that you invest too much effort into the skin-shading without really having the basics of the shape finished, which might disctract you from what is important - but considering my minimalistic style, that might be just me  ;)

Something I would try is to show the head not in perfect sideview but rotate it a litte so you can actually hint at his right eye. There is definately still something wrong with the face imho.

Keep up the work!

Offline bengo

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 11:45:14 am
If it was my own piece, obviously I would have ensured more time on everything (especially taking more time on the shapes). I personally would alter his head to a 3/4 view... but I was trying to keep it similar to what he had. It looked like he had it at a profile, so I put it like that. I was mainly just trying to get a quick edit done in hopes of helping him. Not to say you shouldn't critique what I've done; the more accurate the information the better. I'm also just ensuring you know I'm not the OP. I'm sure you probably already knew this, but just in case you know?

Offline 8bitbeard

• View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 11:54:08 am
oh no, I totally did not see this  :-[

Offline bengo

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 01:02:33 pm
 :blind: Don't worry everyone makes mistakes, especially me.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 12:22:50 am
I like the cartoony style of the original has a cool retro feel but his left leg is weird. Looks like he is about to take a step forward.

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 06:59:12 am
Thanks for the replies (everything's taken into consideration). Here's what I've been working on (it's a bg for the same game):

And an obligatory dodo:

« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 07:04:08 am by Mush »