AuthorTopic: [WiP] RPG house C&C wanted  (Read 3334 times)

Offline DungeonDan

• View Profile

[WiP] RPG house C&C wanted

on: June 07, 2011, 10:17:48 pm
Its not done but i like to see what some of you think and if there is there is anything that can be change as of now to make it pop more

Offline Joe

• View Profile

Re: [WiP] RPG house C&C wanted

Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 12:51:51 am
Hi Dan, consider something like this:

Right now, look at the angle of your side roof.  It suggests that that part of the house is very thin.  Also look at the shadow just below the roof.  It is very thin, suggesting that the roof above is a layer of paper that's peeling up.  If you drop this shadow it puts distance between the edge of the roof and the side of the house.  And consider that on houses, doors are inset, not exactly on the front of the house.  I also shortened it for perspective.

You don't need to use black within the sprite to denote the separation of objects.  And you don't need to shade under the shingles themselves, that can be implied with the outline below them.  My shingles are evenly spaced, and also notice how there is variety in my shingles.  Not in the actual pattern, because if you've ever seen shingles they do follow a pattern, but in the shingles themselves.  And the outline isn't uniform either, since buildings are not perfect.

I hope that helps some.

Edit:  I forgot to mention I tweaked your colors.  I lowered the saturation and spread out the values, to make a ramp.  And the shadow under the roof should be low saturation.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 01:11:57 am by Joe »

Offline DungeonDan

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 01:17:53 am
Here a update i like your idea with the shadowing but i like the way im doing the roof fits style :) just want your thouths as of now

Offline DungeonDan

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 05:16:04 am
another update still looking for some help on the stone lineing at the bottom I know it could be done better

Offline Candy Man Criminal

• ~Reality is a plague, we're the medication~
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 05:40:41 am
this thread could solve your issue with the stone lining

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=12608.0

i cant really explain it or i would instead of the link, im too tired right now

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 06:37:04 am
Here a update i like your idea with the shadowing but i like the way im doing the roof fits style :) just want your thouths as of now

aaargh not this "style" thing again

Don't worry. Maybe as you progress you'll take a liking to that sort of use-outlines-sparingly thing. So I'll be taking the roof off of Joe's edit. Sorry, but it looks better, and that takes skill which you'll develop eventually.

(Note: I did get lazy towards the end, so the other side of the roof is left undone, and a few things are copy-pasted.

The space above the door seems very bland (this, in part, could be the fault of the palette which lacks contrast), as well as the wing of the house to the right of the door. Consider the interior of the house, and its functionality; you might want to add in a few windows so people can, you know, see out of it. Aside from that, even with windows the house still looks rather bland. How about adding some texture? I'm thinking an adobe brick-like surface would fit the house well, considering the color.

There's also asthetic elements of the house, which as of the (second) latest update seem very jumbled up as if taken from multiple sources/in multiple styles. If you crop just the bottom of the house, just above the door, the rounded, hole-like appearance of the door, cobblestone lining and pillar-looking things on the wall corners actually suggest more of a medieval settlement to me. The top of the house is giving me a hispanic vibe of some sorts (think it's the adobe-like color and simplified architecture; or it could be a combination of that and a conventional neighborhood house. Raising the roof, literally, isn't going to do much to help; it just adds more boring wall to an unbroken sea of wall, that was already some rather boring wall, to start with.

Hmm... It still seems to lack character for some reason. Perhaps the doors/windows are too small, compared to the abundance of wall? Honestly I don't know. Anyhow, just take this edit into consideration. Look at it up close if you must.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 06:43:03 am by pistachio »