AuthorTopic: [wip][C+C] More Roguelike sprites [Update: Balseraph and Doll]  (Read 7855 times)

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio
EDIT: New version on bottom of thread.

So, my spritesheet for Fall from Heaven the Roguelike keeps growing larger and larger.

Even more.

Faeries are complete now.

The new faeries are Earth, Air, Metamagic, Dark, shining, and a young unaligned fae.

The elves are a commoner, a warrior, a magic adept and a thief. And a hunter now too.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 01:11:03 am by Psiweapon »

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio
Bumping for great justice: I updated OP.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
Are you looking for C+C?

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio
Are you looking for C+C?

Umm yes that's why I put that tag  :crazy:

Am I doing something wrong? Etiquette-wise I mean.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: [wip][C+C] More Roguelike sprites [Update: Fae Finished]

Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 01:07:10 pm
I think your characters are great man, lots of variation and cool designs.
If I were you I would really try to fix alot of the noise you have going on.
With smaller sprites maybe you should sacrifice some of the details such as on the blue haired thing and go for patches of colour instead of single lines - that would also help focus the eye important details like the faces.
As I think other people have mentioned, you should lose the dithering on the capes and stuff.
Colours could definetely use some tweaking too.

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 07:21:03 pm
I think your characters are great man, lots of variation and cool designs.
If I were you I would really try to fix alot of the noise you have going on.
With smaller sprites maybe you should sacrifice some of the details such as on the blue haired thing and go for patches of colour instead of single lines - that would also help focus the eye important details like the faces.
As I think other people have mentioned, you should lose the dithering on the capes and stuff.
Colours could definetely use some tweaking too.

Wow thanks, yes, I always try to give them dynamic poses, expression and whatnot. The noise is probably the aspect I have less experience with.

The dithering is awful - it's mostly on the dwarves, fortunately. I made them first of all, and obviously the style I'm using hadn't settled yet - that came with humans and the undead. I've already reworked one of the dwarves, the engineer-ish looking one (it was uglier before). The problem is that I find more urgent making new sprites than renewing the "old" ones - but I'll get to it eventually, every now and then I do some little tweaking.

About the colors, do you mean the palette, or the color choices? Or both? Mixing colors has never been one of my strengths in traditional media, either  :lol:
What do you suggest?

Is it too much to ask of you to tell me what are, in your eyes, the worst and best sprites and why?

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 03:30:43 am
Bit hard to comment from my phone here but generally colours are very glarish and like I said, most of them have alot of pixel noise which takes away from the form and that level of detail and bright glarish colours all over the object make it hard to tell where the point of interest should be (typically face). u could instead go for areas of color in some cases which would allow better shading and sense of form.
Dont get me wrong there are some real gems in there.

Offline Joe

• View Profile

No, I just forgot how to read titles.  :blind:

The worst sprites are the dwarves and the trolls.  They have too many colors that clash and decrease readability, an apparent lack of contrast, and in some cases shading that disregards the actual form.  The best sprites are the ones on the bottom right, my favorite being the dark creature with blood coming out of it's mouth.

The problem is that I find more urgent making new sprites than renewing the "old" ones.

That's going to be a big obstacle as far as your growth is concerned.  Probably the best crit I can give you, the most glaring issue that all of these sprites have in common to some degree, is that you're paying attention to details rather than forms.  At this size, you do have room for details, but the characters are less convincing because they lack clear, defined forms, and proper shading on those forms.

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

No, I just forgot how to read titles.  :blind:

The worst sprites are the dwarves and the trolls.  They have too many colors that clash and decrease readability, an apparent lack of contrast, and in some cases shading that disregards the actual form.  The best sprites are the ones on the bottom right, my favorite being the dark creature with blood coming out of it's mouth.

Well, the garish colored trolls were actually a request by the dev... and yes their shading is bland even by my standards. I was more than happy with the plain trolls on the top.

Thanks about the creature with bloody mouth, it was one of the sprites I had most fun in doing! I really like it too. It's eating a foot  :lol:

The problem is that I find more urgent making new sprites than renewing the "old" ones.

That's going to be a big obstacle as far as your growth is concerned.  Probably the best crit I can give you, the most glaring issue that all of these sprites have in common to some degree, is that you're paying attention to details rather than forms.  At this size, you do have room for details, but the characters are less convincing because they lack clear, defined forms, and proper shading on those forms.

Well, every now and then I make some adjustments, and as time passes I see more and more imperfections in them, but when the next release comes I don't want to have much fugly placeholder art next to my beloved babies, so that's  why I keep doing more instead of revising them right away. Also, I have many more other pixels to do!

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 08:45:32 pm
Well you've got some C+C that you asked for so you can take it on board and rework them later when you go back to it and as you progress on new sprites.
More!