AuthorTopic: Beginnings of a GB tileset  (Read 4081 times)

Offline Vine

• View Profile

Beginnings of a GB tileset

on: June 04, 2011, 12:08:16 am
Fairly new to pixeling, be harsh on me so I know what I did wrong ;p
Is it just me or is the cloud dithering a bit "off?"
Actually, pretty much everything feels a bit "off."
Suggestions?

Offline Garreth

• View Profile

Re: Beginnings of a GB tileset

Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 01:32:04 am
The blocks have lighting opposite to where the sun is.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 10:33:39 am
I assumed that it's night time, given that the sky is so much lighter than the landscape but is still kind of dim itself. Maybe not? Sorry I reread the OP and saw they are clouds. Hmmm.... Honestly I would try cutting them, replacing that area with a landscape/horizon and just having smaller clouds actually floating within the sky. These will be much less ambiguous. That's just my take on it.

Either way, yeah there is a lighting mismatch. Of course, given that we can see the sun/moon in the background, all those surfaces facing us would actually be in shadow, but that isn't really practical for game graphics.

Aside from that, the scene looks pretty good. One thing that bothers me is the dark gravelly ground you have blends quite a bit into the background. I suggest highlighting the perimeter of it so it's very clear where the player can walk (assuming you're meant to walk on that? If not, you need to lower its contrast).

The other thing is the large horizontal divide created by the clouds/sky is quite distracting. It keeps distracting my eye away from the actual play area. Remedies include shifting the line up/down in the scene (I'd suggest up) to make the play area take up more of the screen space, OR lower the contrast of the background. You could do that by making the sky the brightest tone and the clouds the second brightest. This will destroy your sun/moon, but that was creating a lighting conflict anyway, right?  :lol:

Just some thoughts. Also, welcome to Pixelation :)

Offline Vine

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 09:53:16 pm
Deliciously long and informative post, thank you!
Here's an update:

Decided to get rid of clouds entirely and replaced it with a parallaxing mountain range.
Added vines and tendrils and whatever else those lines can be interpreted as to the bottom of blocks to make the scenery less boring.
Added a light perimeter to the rocks, I'm probably just going to have to redo the rocks entirely lol.
Suggestions?

Essentially the same as above, but made the platforms way up in the sky.
Those are clouds if it isn't immediately obvious, with stars in the background :s

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 04:23:20 am
Can u make the backgrounds images larger and less repeated and be bolder with ur shapes to break it up instead of a single horizontal line?

Offline QuickSilva

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 09:19:41 am
That first screenshot looks a little familiar but I can`t quite place it...

Offline Vine

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 10:22:47 am
That first screenshot looks a little familiar but I can`t quite place it...
Lol, I'm not gonna lie, I pretty much started off using tiles from your Cave Story demake.
I was inspired by that GB demake thread, lots of wonderful artwork there.
I've been studying that image trying to figure out how you got the creases and folds to work out so wonderfully.
I've also been trying to figure out why you drew things a certain way, it's been giving me a lot of insight on how to pixel.
That being said, I've been finding it difficult to make blocks original enough without them a) looking horrible or b) looking like a ripoff.

So, forgive me for basing my experimental pixel art off yours and thank you for teaching me things indirectly ;p

Offline QuickSilva

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 01:39:26 pm
It`s really not a problem, I was only joking. I was inspired by the original Cave Story after all.