AuthorTopic: Summer projects ._.  (Read 7491 times)

Offline linx

• View Profile

Summer projects ._.

on: June 03, 2011, 06:09:22 pm
So, this summer i'm planning on broadening out on what i can do with digital art.  I scanned a drawing of mine (based off a frame in a manga), and i started coloring it.  I'm liking it so far, but it's always good to get critique early  :y:.  There will most likely be more projects posted in this thread than just this one ;P.
Oh, and i have NO idea how to start shading his hair :/

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Re: Summer projects ._.

Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 11:21:22 pm
i think you should finish the sketch before you start coloring. i dont have a good sense of what is happening in the drawing at this point. if you could somehow post your reference that might also help. whats your goal for it? to make it look like a nice cel shaded illustration or are you trying to be painterly?

Offline linx

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 12:36:43 am
Here is the frame . I'm trying to go for more of a painterly style overall, though it's looking cell shaded atm :/.  I figured i would just finish the top of the spear/ back of the hand while painting it.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 03:52:59 am
Great lineart sketch to start with. I'm going to make the assumption you didn't originate it, though. I detect a skill-gap between your OP's image and this one.

The bubble burst really kills it. The text is so static compared to the dynamic pose/action taking place. Nix it. Plus, the lance ain't even "burning" anyway.

Offline linx

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 04:01:58 am
Hm? The frame in the previous post is from the actual manga.  Are you critiquing that thinking its mine, or just overall critiquing it o_O?  And yeah the one in the original post is just a scan of my drawing of that picture.
Edit: To clarify my drawing in the first post is from me using the actual picture from the manga (a couple of posts above) as a reference.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 10:57:28 pm
So you're basically coloring a black & white already-digital image you found. Why then make a sketch copy on paper, scan it, then digi paint over it? Why not just take the already existing manga pic and color it?

Offline linx

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 11:27:30 pm
Because i hadn't found the image online until st0ven asked for my reference. One of my friends had the actual book, and i was sketching it from there out of boredom.  Then i decided to use it to practice some digital painting with.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 11:16:42 am
Well for starters, you might want to put the linework layer above the color layer and set it to multiply before flat coloring so you can still see what goes where instead of covering it all up with color right from the start.
You can then paint over the lines in another layer on top of the lines in which you do the shading.
Also don't just detail one part out, then move on to other parts. Try coloring and shading as evenly as possible so it looks unified.
That would include a background too which you may want to block out before going into too great detail with the character.
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline linx

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 06:04:15 pm

Followed your advice 9_6.  The picture won't show the linework layer atm, becasue the viewer is never supposed to see that. I do have the linework layer above in the photoshop file now, thanks for the tip.  Not sure what to put behind the water since the manga strip just has a blank white space.