AuthorTopic: GR#122 - La Scaphandrier - Gameart  (Read 34374 times)

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14966.htm
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile
    • Chris Kelsall's Pixel Portfolio

GR#122 - La Scaphandrier - Gameart

on: June 02, 2011, 07:57:32 pm
Most recent work:

Click here for most recent update

Hello!

It's been a while since I've posted a thread on Pixelation, but I thought the time has come.

I'm working on a game, which is called "Le Scaphandrier". It's being made for the CHIP16, a virtual machine which runs on 16 colours.*

You play as a diver who explores the abysses whilst trying to stay alive.
The diver is bound to his base by an oxygen feed; this means he can only move a certain distance away from the base.
He can, however, release himself from the feed and rely on his auxiliary oxygen device- which has a very limited capacity.
The diver also relies on a radio signal for the display of his map, the display of the radar relies on the electric current from the air feed. Fortunately, he keeps a logbook in which you can take written notes or make annotations on the map, something you can refer to and fill up as you play the game.
In order to progress, you have to find various objects to build secondary bases to plug your air feed into, and plant radio antennae to guarantee a strong signal. The catch is... you only have a limited number of each part necessary to build a base, or of antennae, which means you'll have to make compromises when it comes to progressing in one direction or another.

That is the concept of the game; to that you can then add side-tasks, like keeping track of the local flora and fauna, mapping and describing different areas, collecting miscellaneous objects, etc.

I wanted to post here so I could get some advice, primarily for the tiles, but I would be delighted to have any other kind of input, as this is a game that is still on its first legs.

Here's the most recent version of my mock-up.

On the top (left to right):
-Radar
-Auxiliary oxygen tank
-Map

At the bottom, a list of items (left to right):
-Radar Antenna
-Battery
-Explosives
-Drill
-A piece of text
You can only carry a specific amount of items, with a specific total weight.

This is the tileset I'm using in the mock-up:

If this tileset looks familiar, it's because I used Ocean Sphere's bush tileset as a (heavy) reference. I'd like to emphasize on the fact that I did not edit Ocean Sphere's tiles.

*And this is the palette I'm using:

It's a cross between Arne's palette and the C64's palette.

About the tiles... I wanted the game to happen in pretty deep water, and I've been looking for deepwater pictures of the seabed, but that proved fruitless. I'd like to go for something between caverns and coral reefs, but I'm having difficulties with that kind of rendering. :(
Like Ocean Sphere, I'd like something more or less monochromatic to tell one area apart from the other, and perhaps recycle some tiles that way.

Here are some pictures for you to get the feel I'm wanting to this game:
http://www.geostockgroup.com/images/mined%20caverns.jpg
http://www.cenotemexico.com/images/cavern-diving1.jpg
http://cache2.allpostersimages.com/p/LRG/28/2877/RXGPD00Z/posters/touzon-raul-a-beam-of-sunlight-illuminates-an-underwater-cave.jpg
http://mrsmaine.wikispaces.com/file/view/multicolored-coral-reef-977807-sw.jpg/55562890/multicolored-coral-reef-977807-sw.jpg
http://www.instablogsimages.com/images/2008/08/29/coral-reefs_ZxuST_15921.jpg
(posting these also for my sake)

This is my most recent stab at the tileset:

I hope this project interests you, and I'm looking forward to seeing your feedback! :)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 08:23:56 pm by Chris2balls »
☑ Available for work     ☒ Unavailable for work
Check out my portfolio if you are looking for a pixel artist!

Offline Stratto

• View Profile

Re: Le Scaphandrier - A game in the making

Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 09:01:12 pm
Is there anyway you could make tiles darker? The first thing that came to mind when i saw it without reading anything, was a man in a snowy forest.
The tiles, pixel wise are fine, and I could definitely spot the Ocean Sphere's inspiration.

Offline Armageddon

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 10:13:17 pm
Looks like a lost planet demake, I really like the hud.

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 10:36:35 pm
Sounds like a cool idea. Good work so far.

I'd recommend tailoring your palette more to suit the underwater theme. You probably won't use some of those warmer colors very often, so it might make sense to replace them with cooler, more applicable shades. I'd save a few warm tones for highlights, since the light brown works well on the sprite and HUD frame.

I think the icons at the bottom of the screen are hard to read. They're small and the two-tone (plus AA) doesn't give you much room for differentiation. Since they're not depicting everyday objects, I think you'd be better off using a more representational approach.

Also, mermaids?

Offline davis123

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 10:58:56 pm
Is this supposed to be a zelda like topdown view? if so, the persons proportions are off. it looks as if the person is from the side and the tiles are from top.

Also, the scene does look like snow. I thought it was snowy until I read your full page.

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 11:02:07 am
Thanks! I'll see what I can do about the snowiness!

Sounds like a cool idea. Good work so far.

I'd recommend tailoring your palette more to suit the underwater theme. You probably won't use some of those warmer colors very often, so it might make sense to replace them with cooler, more applicable shades. I'd save a few warm tones for highlights, since the light brown works well on the sprite and HUD frame.

I think the icons at the bottom of the screen are hard to read. They're small and the two-tone (plus AA) doesn't give you much room for differentiation. Since they're not depicting everyday objects, I think you'd be better off using a more representational approach.

Also, mermaids?
Regarding the palette: it's the palette used by the CHIP16, which means... If I change the palette for this game, I have to change the palette for the system first. :ouch:
I'll put that issue aside for now and see if I can nevertheless find a palette that suits the game's atmosphere better.
As for the icons... I might as well move them off the HUD and swap them for a menu icon, because I agree that they don't read that well, especially the radar and the drill.
Yes, mermaids! :D

Concerning the perspective: it is flawed, and I'm aware of it, but changing the diver's perspective at the sprite's scale will only make it less readable.
I have a quick tweak on the palette coming up.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 11:07:55 am
I suppose, after looking at a few of the references, making more use of that dark blue color (and less of the light blue, which probably gives off the "snowy" appearance many have mentioned) would benefit the piece. If you don't mind straying from that ref, perhaps some coral tiles--pink, maybe darker green--maybe barnacles, would further suggest an underwater scene?

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 12:30:56 pm
Thanks pistachio for that tip, you confirmed my doubts! I made a few quick colour swaps on the mockup with the original 16 colours on the right, and on the left I was trying to get a more aquatic colour scheme; I tried not making it too subdued.

What do you think?

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 02:44:01 pm
Hey! The one on the left really feels underwater now.

The one on hte right doesn't feel as "underwater", but the corals have colors.

Problem is: you probably can't mix both advantages.

The only idea that comes to mind is that coral's colors (how alliterative!) show up only when nearest to the player, water extinguishes colors rapidly with distance.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 04:06:14 pm
mockup on the right is beautiful.

i like the idea of some type of overlay or even just proximity flag which changes the palettes of the corals.

in order to make it less like night, you could consider using black nearby and blue at a distance; sorta like how Psiweapon says but also taking the black out of the far objects so that they're receding in "fog" (water).

the biggest thing you need is fish and bubbles and stuff though, i think we'll get that it's underwater then.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.