AuthorTopic: GR#122 - La Scaphandrier - Gameart  (Read 34370 times)

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14966.htm
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile
    • Chris Kelsall's Pixel Portfolio

GR#122 - La Scaphandrier - Gameart

on: June 02, 2011, 07:57:32 pm
Most recent work:

Click here for most recent update

Hello!

It's been a while since I've posted a thread on Pixelation, but I thought the time has come.

I'm working on a game, which is called "Le Scaphandrier". It's being made for the CHIP16, a virtual machine which runs on 16 colours.*

You play as a diver who explores the abysses whilst trying to stay alive.
The diver is bound to his base by an oxygen feed; this means he can only move a certain distance away from the base.
He can, however, release himself from the feed and rely on his auxiliary oxygen device- which has a very limited capacity.
The diver also relies on a radio signal for the display of his map, the display of the radar relies on the electric current from the air feed. Fortunately, he keeps a logbook in which you can take written notes or make annotations on the map, something you can refer to and fill up as you play the game.
In order to progress, you have to find various objects to build secondary bases to plug your air feed into, and plant radio antennae to guarantee a strong signal. The catch is... you only have a limited number of each part necessary to build a base, or of antennae, which means you'll have to make compromises when it comes to progressing in one direction or another.

That is the concept of the game; to that you can then add side-tasks, like keeping track of the local flora and fauna, mapping and describing different areas, collecting miscellaneous objects, etc.

I wanted to post here so I could get some advice, primarily for the tiles, but I would be delighted to have any other kind of input, as this is a game that is still on its first legs.

Here's the most recent version of my mock-up.

On the top (left to right):
-Radar
-Auxiliary oxygen tank
-Map

At the bottom, a list of items (left to right):
-Radar Antenna
-Battery
-Explosives
-Drill
-A piece of text
You can only carry a specific amount of items, with a specific total weight.

This is the tileset I'm using in the mock-up:

If this tileset looks familiar, it's because I used Ocean Sphere's bush tileset as a (heavy) reference. I'd like to emphasize on the fact that I did not edit Ocean Sphere's tiles.

*And this is the palette I'm using:

It's a cross between Arne's palette and the C64's palette.

About the tiles... I wanted the game to happen in pretty deep water, and I've been looking for deepwater pictures of the seabed, but that proved fruitless. I'd like to go for something between caverns and coral reefs, but I'm having difficulties with that kind of rendering. :(
Like Ocean Sphere, I'd like something more or less monochromatic to tell one area apart from the other, and perhaps recycle some tiles that way.

Here are some pictures for you to get the feel I'm wanting to this game:
http://www.geostockgroup.com/images/mined%20caverns.jpg
http://www.cenotemexico.com/images/cavern-diving1.jpg
http://cache2.allpostersimages.com/p/LRG/28/2877/RXGPD00Z/posters/touzon-raul-a-beam-of-sunlight-illuminates-an-underwater-cave.jpg
http://mrsmaine.wikispaces.com/file/view/multicolored-coral-reef-977807-sw.jpg/55562890/multicolored-coral-reef-977807-sw.jpg
http://www.instablogsimages.com/images/2008/08/29/coral-reefs_ZxuST_15921.jpg
(posting these also for my sake)

This is my most recent stab at the tileset:

I hope this project interests you, and I'm looking forward to seeing your feedback! :)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 08:23:56 pm by Chris2balls »
☑ Available for work     ☒ Unavailable for work
Check out my portfolio if you are looking for a pixel artist!

Offline Stratto

• View Profile

Re: Le Scaphandrier - A game in the making

Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 09:01:12 pm
Is there anyway you could make tiles darker? The first thing that came to mind when i saw it without reading anything, was a man in a snowy forest.
The tiles, pixel wise are fine, and I could definitely spot the Ocean Sphere's inspiration.

Offline Armageddon

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 10:13:17 pm
Looks like a lost planet demake, I really like the hud.

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 10:36:35 pm
Sounds like a cool idea. Good work so far.

I'd recommend tailoring your palette more to suit the underwater theme. You probably won't use some of those warmer colors very often, so it might make sense to replace them with cooler, more applicable shades. I'd save a few warm tones for highlights, since the light brown works well on the sprite and HUD frame.

I think the icons at the bottom of the screen are hard to read. They're small and the two-tone (plus AA) doesn't give you much room for differentiation. Since they're not depicting everyday objects, I think you'd be better off using a more representational approach.

Also, mermaids?

Offline davis123

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 10:58:56 pm
Is this supposed to be a zelda like topdown view? if so, the persons proportions are off. it looks as if the person is from the side and the tiles are from top.

Also, the scene does look like snow. I thought it was snowy until I read your full page.

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 11:02:07 am
Thanks! I'll see what I can do about the snowiness!

Sounds like a cool idea. Good work so far.

I'd recommend tailoring your palette more to suit the underwater theme. You probably won't use some of those warmer colors very often, so it might make sense to replace them with cooler, more applicable shades. I'd save a few warm tones for highlights, since the light brown works well on the sprite and HUD frame.

I think the icons at the bottom of the screen are hard to read. They're small and the two-tone (plus AA) doesn't give you much room for differentiation. Since they're not depicting everyday objects, I think you'd be better off using a more representational approach.

Also, mermaids?
Regarding the palette: it's the palette used by the CHIP16, which means... If I change the palette for this game, I have to change the palette for the system first. :ouch:
I'll put that issue aside for now and see if I can nevertheless find a palette that suits the game's atmosphere better.
As for the icons... I might as well move them off the HUD and swap them for a menu icon, because I agree that they don't read that well, especially the radar and the drill.
Yes, mermaids! :D

Concerning the perspective: it is flawed, and I'm aware of it, but changing the diver's perspective at the sprite's scale will only make it less readable.
I have a quick tweak on the palette coming up.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 11:07:55 am
I suppose, after looking at a few of the references, making more use of that dark blue color (and less of the light blue, which probably gives off the "snowy" appearance many have mentioned) would benefit the piece. If you don't mind straying from that ref, perhaps some coral tiles--pink, maybe darker green--maybe barnacles, would further suggest an underwater scene?

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 12:30:56 pm
Thanks pistachio for that tip, you confirmed my doubts! I made a few quick colour swaps on the mockup with the original 16 colours on the right, and on the left I was trying to get a more aquatic colour scheme; I tried not making it too subdued.

What do you think?

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 02:44:01 pm
Hey! The one on the left really feels underwater now.

The one on hte right doesn't feel as "underwater", but the corals have colors.

Problem is: you probably can't mix both advantages.

The only idea that comes to mind is that coral's colors (how alliterative!) show up only when nearest to the player, water extinguishes colors rapidly with distance.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 04:06:14 pm
mockup on the right is beautiful.

i like the idea of some type of overlay or even just proximity flag which changes the palettes of the corals.

in order to make it less like night, you could consider using black nearby and blue at a distance; sorta like how Psiweapon says but also taking the black out of the far objects so that they're receding in "fog" (water).

the biggest thing you need is fish and bubbles and stuff though, i think we'll get that it's underwater then.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile

Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 08:10:12 pm
My programmer is working on the overlays, so it should work, hopefully!
Here's a more advanced (but still quite rough) WIP of the mock-up:

For now I'm looking into deep see fauna, I'm soaking it in before I get to work. More progress coming soon!

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 11:44:52 pm
mockup on the right is beautiful.

i like the idea of some type of overlay or even just proximity flag which changes the palettes of the corals.

in order to make it less like night, you could consider using black nearby and blue at a distance; sorta like how Psiweapon says but also taking the black out of the far objects so that they're receding in "fog" (water).

the biggest thing you need is fish and bubbles and stuff though, i think we'll get that it's underwater then.

Ditto. Yay for "receding into the fog". The "you see the colors when you're near" thing could lend a hand for that mechanic of keeping track of flora and fauna.

edit: Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 12:08:21 am by Psiweapon »

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 11:19:33 am
Okay, so I've done a first thumbnail for a fish:

It's what you'll see in your logbook when you find these guys, with a brief description.
Right now I'm wondering how I can implement the flora and fauna; I'd like to point out that the diver can't attack, but can be attacked.
How do the accounts turn out? I'll give it a think
What I know for sure is that the radar will reveal their position... I'll make a couple of sprites and see how they integrate to the mock-up.

You start in the Mesopelagic Zone, also known as the "Twilight Zone".
The point is to go further down, through the Bathypelagic, aka as the "Midnight Zone", the Abyssopelagic Zone, aka the "Abyss", and finally the Hadalpelagic Zone, the "Trenches". In order to go further down, you have to upgrade your suit to withstand the increasingly high pressure!
The diver you play as is disgusted by the world he lives in, and chooses to withdraw himself in the depths of the sea. He wants to contemplate its beauty whilst denying the reality of above. This state of denial, but also his detachment from reality, is reflected by his progressive descent. As he goes down, pressure-induced (and solitude-induced) fantasies of underwater cities, mermaids, etc. mark his way to the unseen underworld of the Trenches.

Here's a second fish thumbnail:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 06:34:09 pm by Chris2balls »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 01:41:36 am
Wait, are you saying the protagonist progressively descends into madness and the levels are basically modeled after his delusions? That's awesome!! What a sweet concept. Gives me many ideas. This'll facilitate each new level being more and more unique and interesting. Which compels the player to keep going. Think of Louis Wain and how it's said that his developing schizophrenia increasingly manifested in his artwork.

I don't know if you have it in you really do this type of game concept justice, visually, because frankly I'm not sure how I myself would handle it. But hey, what an original concept.

To be clear, I'm not doubting your ability to follow through with your own idea, I'm calling into question how wise it would be to attempt the slant I think I just put on your idea - which is basically to progressively alter the look of the game and even the game's feeling/attitude as you get further and further, things becoming more and more "crazy". It's a tall order, but done right would REALLY compel people to try out your game. I think it could make a splash.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 03:03:25 am
I'm on my phone so ill just say that  from reading the game concept it sounds really interesting and leads me to think of other really cool rewards like submarines for exploring greater distances off the oxygen/power feed. Eventually perhaps drone subs which dont require oxygen feed but still need to recharge batteries. And subs need little arms and cargo bays, oxygen tanks, power cells, hull plating etc so...upgrades :-)
Some of this may conflict with ur other ideas, but not necessarily.
Will there be any combat?

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 10:06:02 pm
Wait, are you saying the protagonist progressively descends into madness and the levels are basically modeled after his delusions? That's awesome!! What a sweet concept. Gives me many ideas. This'll facilitate each new level being more and more unique and interesting. Which compels the player to keep going. Think of Louis Wain and how it's said that his developing schizophrenia increasingly manifested in his artwork.

[Image]

I don't know if you have it in you really do this type of game concept justice, visually, because frankly I'm not sure how I myself would handle it. But hey, what an original concept.

To be clear, I'm not doubting your ability to follow through with your own idea, I'm calling into question how wise it would be to attempt the slant I think I just put on your idea - which is basically to progressively alter the look of the game and even the game's feeling/attitude as you get further and further, things becoming more and more "crazy". It's a tall order, but done right would REALLY compel people to try out your game. I think it could make a splash.

Thank you very much for this post. I hadn't heard of Louis Wain before but that's going to be a source of inspiration for this game.
I hadn't thought of looking for artists dealing with this subject, but Adolf Wölfli is somebody who sprung to my mind, being part of the oustider art movement:

I'm also interested in glitch art, so I could play with recurrent aspects of the glitches to get that feel:
(my personal favourite)
this is the kind of thing that I could do for the game, which is replicating a part of the image, or in the context of the game, the screen.
big image, enjoy
After the sublime, the grunge! :D

Thank you Decroded, interesting stuff!
I'm not so sure about submarines. You have to keep in mind that this guy you're playing at wants to get to the bottom of the sea in person, and alive. He wants to experience and and feel things as closely as possible (there's something a bit romantic about him now that I think about it, haha). The drone subs are a good idea: they sound cool and are actually more plausible than a diver going so deep, but... these are only adding more necessities, more things to find; I agree this would be good as a side-quest for the player, as the drones could act as an effective reconnaissance unit, which could save some time.
I do want to emphasise on the fact the diver's not playing it safe: okay, he has a radar and an oxygen feed; at least one can be compromised at all times, sometimes two. He's taking personal risks to progress.
I'm afraid there is no combat in this game. I might think of ways to defend the diver, but no combat so to speak in the game. The diver's a sitting duck.

I'll be posting some animations soon.
Remember- I'm more than enthused to know what ideas this game gives you, or what you'd see in this game.
Later!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 10:09:19 pm by Chris2balls »

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 03:58:52 pm
I have an update on the diver:

I also have this, which is part of a bigger (unfinished) piece related to the game:

If you've read my posts in this thread, you'll probably have a good guess at what this is!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 11:03:00 pm by Chris2balls »

Offline Candy Man Criminal

• ~Reality is a plague, we're the medication~
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 04:01:48 pm
i love the style of this and the idea behind it
this has officially rocked my socks

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 09:04:07 pm
Thanks man! :)

Alright, I've started re-doing the tileset, what I had before was quite complicated:
Still WIP, I'll probably have to add a few more tiles
Here's a quick example of what can be done with it:

Next step is to give the edges and stuff a bit more detail!

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: June 08, 2011, 03:38:36 pm

i don't think he's walking, i think he's doing the cancan :D
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 04:58:57 pm by Chris2balls »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #20 on: June 08, 2011, 09:51:52 pm

i don't think he's walking, i think he's doing the cancan :D
Try some reference and add some more frames? is he going to have a window on the side of his head? makes it a but hard to tell which way he is facing unless u come up with another way to differentiate.

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: June 09, 2011, 12:12:13 am
I like the idea of a single drone because it gives something to manage that can take place "in the background" and in the future. It doesn't remove the feeling of loneliness, it can avoid some tedious "fetch" jobs in already-explored areas. If it only consumes energy while successfully moving, the player can wait for a safe spot for his character before he checks if the drone has finished its task.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: June 09, 2011, 12:46:48 am

Yeah lol and when it has nothing to do it just follows u around like a dog. Could be kind of cute if it had some kind of subtle rudimentary ai to follow voice commands.as thats the closest thing he has to a friend down there he could start to talk to it as a way to introduce some story dialogue, but obviously its just a drone so it would reply "...".
Would be funny if deeper into the game it formed more personality and eventually started talking back to u lol a clear sign that the guy has lost it.

Anyway its so off-topic from the graphics sorry...

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: June 10, 2011, 07:17:43 pm
No problem about talking about the drone, that's a great suggestion actually. I'm more inclined to implement it into my game... within the 64k available! D:
Here's an update of the tileset:

I'll post an example of what they look like used soon.

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: June 10, 2011, 09:07:20 pm
looks pretty sexy to me, cant wait to see more  ;D

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: June 11, 2011, 03:28:26 pm
Thank you!
Right, here's an update on the tileset, plus I've added a "fog" effect (basically a dither tileset):

You may notice I've used the tiles differently from one side to the next: I wasn't sure if it were better for me to go for four bands of gradient, two bands, or using four bands in a less rigid way. I prefer the last version. I'll talk about the overlays to see if that's still going to be possible within the 64k and how many tiles I should use with the programmer.

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: June 15, 2011, 08:21:36 pm
Hi! This isn't dead, I'm just busy with other projects.
One of the "dungeons" of the game is a military submarine:

Still a heavy WIP. I'm frustrated because I want to give the impression there's algae and stuff growing on the submarine: the green seems too bright to my taste... any suggestions would be really helpful!
I've also sketched another suit design which I'll pixel later, and I've also made a list of areas the diver could explore:
- A sunken submarine
- A sunken ship
- An underwater city
- Underwater caves
- Derelict diving bases
- Coral reef jungle
- A bioluminescent labyrinth
- A necropolis
- An underwater mining site.
If you have any ideas, please say so!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 08:23:07 pm by Chris2balls »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: June 15, 2011, 10:37:20 pm
It's hard to do, but often it's best to wait for at least the alpha version of the game before getting real worried about final polished art. When making a game, and you do things out of order, much time can be wasted, therefore decreasing the likelihood of actually completing it.

ENVIRONMENT IDEAS:

- Warm tinted cavernous and/or open water areas molded by underwater volcanic eruptions minor and major (blobby curvilinear rock formations, glowing veins of magma between formations, strange flora/fauna adapted to the heat, fire/heat element oriented enemies)
- Abyss full of phosphorescent creatures (shifting light sources, remember Aquaria's abyss stage. . .)
- World War II wreckage from a huge battle (remains of subs, planes littering ocean seabed, some large enough to enter)
- Atlantis (Merfolk civilization, think Little Mermaid but less gay, could be ruins or a still-functioning city)
- Bermuda Triangle (ruins of ships/planes,  and . . . you'll have to think of an explanation for all the unexplained disappearances blamed on the Bermuda Triangle and reveal it in the level)
- Swallowed by a whale (whale inards, walking on tongue, swimming in stomache)

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: June 16, 2011, 08:23:48 am
Thank you very much, Mathias: that advice reminds me of all the unfinished games I made with my brother, and my unfinished pieces of art.
The submarine was going to be the first place you visit in the game, but I'll focus on getting some more critical sprites in such as the base, oxygen tanks and the parts to build the base. And I'll have to make a font, too. Oh and a couple of creatures swimming about ;)
(I'm taking in count your environment ideas too, thanks!)

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: June 16, 2011, 02:12:23 pm
A ref for a hulk sitting on ocean floor.
http://i2.2photo.ru/z/f/385487.jpg

• View Profile

Reply #30 on: June 18, 2011, 07:08:23 am
it kinda gives me the impression of a dead whale split in half before a submarine o__o

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile

Reply #31 on: September 07, 2011, 10:38:36 am
Hello again, I'm still working on this.
I've updated the tileset:

Here's a little example of the coral tiles blending together:

I'll be aiming to create more tiles for this set, and I'll try to make the submarine more submarine-ish.

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile

Reply #32 on: May 05, 2012, 07:37:23 pm
Hey there. Working on this still.
I'm not going to do any specific locations for now, and the logbook idea with sea creatures will be scrapped. All that's staying for now is the diver, the bases, and the oxygen tube. Otherwise it's too complicated for me.
Basically, I have three tilesets, from lightest to darkest. I think I'll add more or less of each according to the level. Also, as you go away from the base it gets darker.

I'd really like to know what you think of this, if you can see any improvements or anything.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #33 on: May 05, 2012, 09:47:38 pm
Just popping in to say that I LOVE the game concept and of course the tiles! Our projects are both dealing with similar aesthetics, too. In this update you fixed one problem I had with the air meter, which was it's low value contrast compared to the hud, which seemed odd for such an important element. Will the radar and map still be here too? It would be nice to see them here for full context and possible critique.

For the base, it'd be nice to have one plane much darker than the other so we get a better concept of form, rigt now it's got that flat, cardboard-squished look.

Keep it up! it all looks really great and definitely has that " I want to play this" feel!

edit: Also, I have to say I really like the fog effect you mocked up in post 25. I can't decide which one is visually better, but I know the fade to black has been done much more than the fade to blue. Would it be too difficult at this point to change gradient methods( or have you already made up your mind on the black?)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 10:00:42 pm by Ryumaru »

Offline ||||

• The brand with four stripes
    • llll_lijj
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=30996&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #34 on: May 06, 2012, 12:11:36 am
I like the way the colors are coming out in this a lot Christoballs.. and the 16 color system is interesting. The colorful coral tiles look awesome. That checker pattern that fades out into black, in the last image, is neat the way it's patterned into blocks. Just needs more tiles to blend into the light values.. but I like the color transition

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile

Reply #35 on: May 06, 2012, 04:14:08 pm
Thanks guys, I've made an update for the mock-up:

Here are the suits you use in the game:

« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 04:36:10 pm by Chris2balls »

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Reply #36 on: May 08, 2012, 06:39:12 am
Looks very good! Been following since you started the project. Just wanted to pop in and say I think the purple kind of fading fog looks more apeeling and the blue one just got the best of it I think. It just got a bit too weak.

Love the bug kid of thing! :)

Edit:
What ptoing said, perhaps its just the less contrast that makes me feel that way about the latest one and not the colours. Although a game in all blue wouldn't be
fun to watch at the entire time and perhaps a bit monotome.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 07:49:29 am by coffee »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #37 on: May 08, 2012, 07:29:40 am
This is pretty cool stuff. Looks lovely so far as well.
As for the colours, if you plan to do some proximity based thing for changing colours read up on it a bit. Red goes bye bye fastest underwater and everything that is reddish with it of course. Blue stays longest, or well, is what stays until the end unless you go to deep and then you just have black darkness. A game that did this well is Scheichfahrt. Kinda Elite/Privateer type thing under water.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile

Reply #38 on: May 17, 2012, 03:08:04 pm
Thanks guys! I checked out Scheichfahrt, it looks like good fun and I think I have some colour experiments to do.
I'll see what I can do in terms of contrast, too.
I've got some new animations in the meantime:

I'm having problems with pixel clusters. The speeds aren't definite, so I'll be tweaking them and updating this post.
Please let me know if you have anything to suggest.

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #39 on: May 17, 2012, 04:17:46 pm
You are not limited in terms of frames, so I suggest to at least NOT use the standing frame as an in-between for the walks. It looks weird. If you make a proper frame for the passing position it will look a lot better.

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile

Reply #40 on: May 22, 2012, 06:49:41 pm
->
->
Can this be better still?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 07:07:32 pm by Chris2balls »

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

Reply #41 on: May 22, 2012, 07:23:56 pm
The old one at least looks like he's walking, the new one makes it look like he's flailing/kicking his way around. The reason this is is because of that hind leg. Even though the depth is there, the contours of that leg are similar enough to his right leg when it goes back, too much. This causes our eyes to merge the two legs and confuse them, whereas they should both be readable.

The old animation looks like he has some weight to him, which fits for the heavy gear/underwater environment. But if you want to fix that new sprite, I would suggest using the foot at 90 degrees for the hind leg, and more flat, less angled foot for the front leg. You could also experiment with the foot angles of the front leg when it kicks forward, to make sure there is a balance. And yeah if you can do more than 3 frames, then do it for the sake of fluidity.

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #42 on: May 22, 2012, 07:51:22 pm
Gah, I just made a nice edit, but the gif got fudged.

Anyway, here is what I would suggest:

For the contact frames plant both of his feet on the ground do not have the front foot go / since walking in these suits is hard. Also move him down one more pixel in those frames to give it more weight.

The passing positions you can leave at the same height but give the legs the proper 4 kinda position.
And make sure to differ the arms in the passing position so that when it goes back it is closer to the front and vice versa.

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile

Reply #43 on: May 22, 2012, 08:28:31 pm
Thanks guys, I thought there was something not quite right about them. I found an easy fix:

I added the frames I was using on the previous versions of my sprite. I've just got to fix the arm movement now and it should be better.

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #44 on: May 22, 2012, 09:07:52 pm
No, that still is not good. A walkcycle should not have a frame that appears to be a standing pose if you want it to look like a walk. Technically you should have at least 3 frames for each step for a sideways walk but with tiny stuff 2 can work somewhat and I redid what I have done earlier so you can see what I meant with my post above.

Hope this helps.

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile

Reply #45 on: May 22, 2012, 11:41:08 pm
Thanks for your help, ptoing! This is my last go today, I'll see how I can improve it tomorrow:

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile

Reply #46 on: January 13, 2013, 01:16:39 pm
Hey, I thought I'd bump, since I have some more animations!

« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 01:38:22 pm by Chris2balls »

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: January 13, 2013, 01:53:14 pm
I think, if the guy is going to be in the water most of the time you should try to make the animation stompier and slower because right now the suit seems to have no weight and water resistance has no effect on it. That is, if you can with the sprite and frame restrictions you are using.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 07:48:10 pm by Mr. Fahrenheit »

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #48 on: January 13, 2013, 03:49:06 pm
Glad to see you're still working on this, looking forward to see more environment work too  :D

Offline Lachie Dazdarian

• View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff

Reply #49 on: January 13, 2013, 07:29:05 pm
Missed this project earlier. Excellent concept. Looking forward to follow the development.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #50 on: January 14, 2013, 01:44:21 pm
Wow, a game where you phisically go into the abyss at the same time you metaphorically also enter the abyss?(screaming one) hell yeah...and you have glitch graphics added onto that concept? awesome.

That is just incredible. Say, did this Lous Wain fellow actually complain about his state of mind? because if he could function fine "deterioration" isnt how I would qualify the changes in his artistic output! he obviously went into the unknown (or rather the unknowable) I would hope he did it with his will and peace of mind still intact because I'm enjoying his artwork.

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile

Reply #51 on: January 24, 2013, 08:49:34 pm
Thanks guys! :)

Conceit: I'd have to check again, but I think Wain got gradually more and more insane towards the end of his life following the death of his mother.

Here's a quick test:

Is this a good compromise?

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #52 on: January 24, 2013, 09:25:21 pm
Indeed, glad to see this back in action! :)

I'll be back with something more thorough later, but quickly: it looks kinda strange to fade from blue to red, especially in an underwater environment. I'd expect the opposite; reds having a quicker falloff than blues because of the difference of wavelength like ptoing mentioned, and the atmospheric perspective.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 09:26:59 pm by Facet »