AuthorTopic: general appology  (Read 4325 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

general appology

on: May 09, 2006, 02:28:35 am
just posting this here as a general appology to the people i have or may have really pissed off the last week or two, ive been dealing with a rather serious personal-turned-legal matter and ive said some things that, looking back, i really wish i hadnt said to people (and hope that i would have phrased things better under normal circumstances, or simply not have said anything)

this is ment to be a positive, beneficial community and im afraid ive unintentionally contributed to a level of conflict that i neither intended nor am proud of.  i cant take back the stupid crap, but i do offer an appology (particularly to helm, but also to anyone and everyone else)

if you felt stepped on, feel free to let me know in this thread and i will be sure to appologize
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Re: general appology

Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 04:12:00 am
I don't feel stepped on at all.  You just got a lot of personal-style-aimed crits in the past couple of days, and that can put anyone off.  I'm really glad you said something, actually.  It gave me a better idea of what kind of an artist you are.  You seem to me a kind, gentle soul and I didn't think anything of you acting more like...any normal person would.  I hope your legal matter turns out okay.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 01:35:01 pm
I can't see why anyone would read a post of yours as something offensive, that you'd need to apologise. You're quite polite in the tone of your posts, i haven't seen one with a hint of flammatory language.
If people give you critique on a piece, they are aware that you may take it or leave it as you will, as there is no binding to follow critiques. You get bonus points by giving reasons why you won't follow such critique, that's not necessary, but an extra step in showing respect to the original critique. I don't think anything else is left owed by you.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 04:24:45 pm
No worries, Adarias. I have no problem with your tone specifically, nor was I directly insulted.

I'm more disappointed that somehow my critique turned to an excuse for both a) "I don't want to draw like you, Helm!" and b) [other users going] "man some of the users in this forum have no fucking PASSION and are all about technique" to manifest, both of which I feel were unwarranted conclusions to what was from my part, honest -although harsh- technique critique. I was harsh because you're very good and you're young and if you stick at it you'll become an awesomer pixel artist, and I just wish we didn't get stuck on drama over whether you agree with critique or not.

I never wanted you to draw like me and to be frank the amount of hue-shifted (btw since you asked, this is not my name for it, nor do I have a name for it. I always (as in, in the last 3 years) used 'ramp unification / hue tinting' to cover a bigger aspect of technique, the latter of which is I guess standard artist terminology, not pixel-specific) work and mentions of 'computer aestheric' or whatever else I get kind of uncomfortable because I don't want to influence how people work in that way. So tell the "I don't want to draw like you, Helm!" more to yourself, and less to me.

About passion: whoever was it that took it upon himself to judge how much passion goes in a bit of art, and to condemn the 'passionless technical-minded', you're out of line. This place is about technical critique, always has been, and if there's one reason it still thrives, it's because we leave the directionless 'MAN THIS IS FULL OF ENERGY! PASSION! NICE GOING!' deviant-art-type critique to the other fora. You come here and people will talk to you about your AA and your dithering and your color selection, passion notwithstanding.

Adarias: You say if the critique amounts to 'scrap it' then it shouldn't be posted. First of all I don't agree with this. Second, my critique never amounted to 'scrap it', I made general points that apply to that piece as well as your overal style. You could go in on that piece and fix the palette a bit, or deal with the broken dark selout, or take some of the fullsat high contrast off... But even if it *did* amount to 'scrap it' personally I feel if there's one rude thing to say to an artist is to tell him 'start over', just that. I gave paragraphs on paragraphs of critique, and you say you'd rather have read just 'scrap it' to that? Just a bit disheartening because I really believe in critique.

I don't know what your current life problems are, and I wish you to overcome them with a minimum of fuss. And as I said in the beginning, no worries about this.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 08:22:49 pm
thank you turbo and faktablad, i always worry im offending someone (hense the appology :P)

helm, you need to understand that i did not ask to close the discussion just to have the same discussion in a different thread.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 03:24:32 am
I think I might've coined hue shift, I don't remember exactly. There was an old thread on hue shifting I posted in and as far as I know I coined the term there. It is, however, an incomplete description and a bad direct translation from Dutch...

Hue ramp would be the correctly translated term.

Hue variation is what we should be calling it actually

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 06:33:18 am
heh, i find the term pretty funny since color is what it is. In any object you find various colors , and its kinda dumb to say you're hue shifting, because then it makes it sound as if you have no idea what you're doing with color, like you're just picking random colors(which maybe they might be doing, i dunno).

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 03:55:58 pm
About passion: whoever was it that took it upon himself to judge how much passion goes in a bit of art, and to condemn the 'passionless technical-minded', you're out of line. This place is about technical critique, always has been, and if there's one reason it still thrives, it's because we leave the directionless 'MAN THIS IS FULL OF ENERGY! PASSION! NICE GOING!' deviant-art-type critique to the other fora. You come here and people will talk to you about your AA and your dithering and your color selection, passion notwithstanding.

I just thought I'd point out that's what I like about this place. Even if I don't actually post much I read alot of good things here. Moreso here than any other pixel-art community I've ever been too.

Adarias: I hope your life straightens out and all that good stuff