AuthorTopic: Armadillo trucker  (Read 2268 times)

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Armadillo trucker

on: June 01, 2011, 07:05:50 am
Hey, I really need feedback on this guy. He's nearing completion (and the animating stage), but I feel like he's lacking, as though the visual elements aren't distinguishable enough. I can't place my thumb on what's wrong, can you?

Thanks.

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

Re: Armadillo trucker

Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 08:34:36 pm
His shell looks more like a tail. Also some of the highlights are a little too evenly distributed, when they should be highlighting features of importance ie face, hands, etc. The modeling is a little garbled as well, a clear light source would help with that.

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Re: Armadillo trucker

Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 02:59:06 am
I'll repeat my PJ edit/crits here for convenience's sake:

I really like this character concept. here's an edit:

Right now I think the main problem is noise. With such a small sprite, you've got to sacrifice some detail/texture for readability. Try to focus more on the clusters and less on individual pixels. Design-wise, I felt a more exaggerated trucker hat gave him  more character. When I think 'armadillo', the first thing that comes to mind is their shell, so I emphasized that feature in my edit. Also added a tail.
Also, as a slight aside, if you're working on a white background I'd try not to make a habit of it. It can throw off your colors a bit, I find it most convenient to work on a midtone, usually grey.