AuthorTopic: [C+C] Wall Tiles  (Read 4870 times)

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

[C+C] Wall Tiles

on: May 30, 2011, 09:14:37 am
So, this is my first attempt at some wall tiles and I'd like your critique to know in what aspects I'm on the right track and and in which ones I am not.

Here are the tiles themselves, it's 6 tiles of walls and 3 kinds of doors because I couldn't decide which one would look better. No variant / furniture tiles yet.

And here is a little test to make sure they line up properly and to let you have a look:

I did that cut corners thing well, just because, and then I thought it would be nice to put a torch in that place.

Offline Voxxitronic

• It's an adjective.
    • View Profile

Re: [C+C] Wall Tiles

Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 12:20:29 pm
The first thing you want to do is make the bottom of the walls curved with the top. You also might want to make the torches a bit less harsh. If you do cut the corners all the way through, the brick pattern needs to be angled as well. I did a small edit to show some of my points.

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 12:10:47 am
Yes I know that was an odd shape. The idea is that the "cut-out" part of the wall is where the torch is, but the corner below is where the torch is standing.

Also the W I D E sections are because you can't walk into that tile at all, so it has to look like it blocks your way...

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 06:55:26 am
Yes I know that was an odd shape. The idea is that the "cut-out" part of the wall is where the torch is, but the corner below is where the torch is standing.
Then you may want to have a large cornerstone rather than bricks under the torch, so that it looks more intentional.

I fail to interprete what I see with the doors (?) at the bottom-right of the picture. Again, if you intend to introduce pits, you may want pillars rather than bricks to highlight the change of gameplay rules.

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Re: [C+C] Wall Tiles: Brick Walls and Bone Walls

Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 05:25:43 pm
Here is the latest version:

Bone walls too! :D

(Nevermind the 16x16 door, that was a mistake XD
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 05:30:05 pm by Psiweapon »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 12:33:12 am
Cool stuff man keep going would like to see some floor tiles in there. definitely agree with pypebros comments about a cornerstone or something it want until u explained that tile that I understood what it was. Would probably just read better if u cut it at an angle imo.

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 12:53:17 pm
Moar!!

A lot more wall sections, and floor tiles!

And a mockup:

Problem is, the undead critters don't stand out much against the bone background... and I wasn't planning on using outlines  :'(

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 01:10:32 pm
I really like this stuff I love the floor tile.
You just need to like tone down the colours and probably reduce the contrast (I think don't use black) on the floor to make it less noisy.
I also think it would be great if you could do some really plain floor tiles in there like just dirt and some that blend the bones into the dirt to make some variations rather than having every part of the floor so detailed.
Remember its a background so you don't want the player's eye to focus there with warm colours and lots of detail everywhere - less is more.

If I were playing I'd prefer not to notice straight away what the background was as I would be looking for enemies, but then once I had a chance I would be pleasantly disgusted to realise I've been walking on dead bodies...

« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 01:13:10 pm by Decroded »

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 07:03:47 pm
I really like this stuff I love the floor tile.
You just need to like tone down the colours and probably reduce the contrast (I think don't use black) on the floor to make it less noisy.
I also think it would be great if you could do some really plain floor tiles in there like just dirt and some that blend the bones into the dirt to make some variations rather than having every part of the floor so detailed.
Remember its a background so you don't want the player's eye to focus there with warm colours and lots of detail everywhere - less is more.

If I were playing I'd prefer not to notice straight away what the background was as I would be looking for enemies, but then once I had a chance I would be pleasantly disgusted to realise I've been walking on dead bodies...

Yes, you're right on everything, specially about the contrast...

The dirt/bone transition idea is really cool, but that would amount to the same work as wall tiles... I'll make more floor variations but I don't think I'll put that particular idea into practice, sadly just for practical lazyness...

I'll make the floor tiles more brownish and with less contrast, I guess I should go for a "bones protruding out of dirt" approach, but I'll use the same design (it's already been a pain to place all that bones  :lol:)

I'm starting to think that I should also remove that "tusk" bone because it's the only one of its kind and looks too pattern-ish.