AuthorTopic: Mana Icons for Fall From Heaven the Roguelike  (Read 2668 times)

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Mana Icons for Fall From Heaven the Roguelike

on: May 26, 2011, 11:54:19 pm

So, these are some icons I've made for Fall From Heaven, a roguelike in development.

Made with GrafX2.

They represent, top to bottom, Elemental, Divination, Metamagic and Necromantic mana. The varying number of corners represents the degree of power, a la Heroes of Might and Magic IV, although I noticed that only afterwards. Srsly, all the while I was wondering where had I seen that before. The idea wasn't even mine, it was a suggestion from the dev.

They're supposed to be displayed for magic-using characters, and show the intensity and flavor of magical energy in the area.

YES, I KNOW THE LAST ONE IN THE FIRST ROW IS CRAPPY.  :'( But it's going to stay like that at least for some time, because now there are other pixels that need my attention.

In the bottom row you can see some intermediate stages of work. First of all I drew the whole golden border, then the elemental mana symbol. Then I decided and tested the other three color ramps, and copied, pasted and shaded the corners into their final colors. There is an out-of-ramp color that I had to change manually - I thought I had used six but I actually used seven - you can identify it in the dark red pixels in the necromantic mana border. Then came the necromantic symbol, an assload of fine tuning of the little gems (that don't even stand out that much - well sigh  :-[), and finally the Metamagic and Divination symbols (star thingy and angel thingy respectively).

I'm not going to redraw this any time soon, but some C+C will be appreciated, with future similar pieces in mind. And eventual polishing, but now it isn't a priority.

Offline TheChannel

• Sky Rockets in Flight, Afternoon Delight.
    • View Profile

Re: Mana Icons for Fall From Heaven the Roguelike

Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 11:27:24 pm
I would recommend making the first column as high (or almost) quality as the last column. It looks fine knowing that the main picture will get better but without knowing that it just takes away the initial look at it.
Really thought they are all fine but the one in particular I am talking about is the first one in the second row.

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 12:59:18 am
You mean the angel by itself is kinda boring?

Thanks for the comment.

Offline TheChannel

• Sky Rockets in Flight, Afternoon Delight.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 01:43:29 am
Sorta
Well the last angle has gradients and lighting while the first is flat.
If this is for a game than when you see the first angle you are turned off because it is flat not knowing the cool final stage.
So if you bump it up a little so its not so flat and bland the initial look will be better.

(This is so minuscule that it doesn't really matter)