AuthorTopic: Robes  (Read 4879 times)

Offline Hazzy

• View Profile

Robes

on: May 22, 2011, 06:08:08 pm
Having a little trouble getting the shading/lighting correct on a robe I'm trying to sprite. The hair does seem a little off too but that's not really one of my concerns right now.
Accepting any help/critique if possible ;).

This is the base I made earlier as well which has the animation along with it, I think it's fine but I'm no expert.

Offline alex pang

• View Profile

Re: Robes

Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 06:14:46 pm
First, where is the light source coming from?
 Define that and correct it.

Offline Hazzy

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 06:23:48 pm
I guess the front? Heh that's one mistake I'll have to correct.

Note to self: Decide on the light source before spriting.

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 06:51:22 pm
Here's an edit. This is the proper light source that you must use for MAP RPG characters.

Note that I also altered the lineart and gave the character a more human-like anatomy instead of the square head, I also used the 2nd shade color and spread it around properly so the character has a shape like his muscles and so on... I also adjusted the contrast for the colors. Hope this helps.

Offline Hazzy

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 07:19:23 pm
Here's an edit. This is the proper light source that you must use for MAP RPG characters.

Note that I also altered the lineart and gave the character a more human-like anatomy instead of the square head, I also used the 2nd shade color and spread it around properly so the character has a shape like his muscles and so on... I also adjusted the contrast for the colors. Hope this helps.

Thanks that's gonna be a really helpful reference for me.  On my version I was actually trying to shade the abdomen but it ended up being tiger stripes lol. Really that has helped me a lot.

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 01:24:49 am
Hazzy = No problem. I want you to read this, so you can learn the proper strategy when dealing with smaller sprites.

http://gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/sywtbapa_world_of_sprites.php (explains some key things)

And this next page, how to make smaller sprites... (the most important part)

http://gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/sywtbapa_making_sprite.php

These are two of the tutorials that I learned before back then when I started making rpg stuff.

Offline Hazzy

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 10:45:21 am
Hazzy = No problem. I want you to read this, so you can learn the proper strategy when dealing with smaller sprites.

http://gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/sywtbapa_world_of_sprites.php (explains some key things)

And this next page, how to make smaller sprites... (the most important part)

http://gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/sywtbapa_making_sprite.php

These are two of the tutorials that I learned before back then when I started making rpg stuff.

Thanks again, you've been a huge help. First I'll go make a cupa before digging into those tutorials since it's a big read. :P

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 01:17:50 pm
Um... what the eff? Who are you to say what light source MUST be use for ALL RPG characters? I'm sorry to be so blunt, but the lighting in your edit is just as poor as the lighting in Hazzy's original sprite.  They are both pillow-shaded.

Hazzy, I have found that an overhead light source works well for these kinds of characters (and makes things much easier for game art in general) because sprites can be mirrored and remain consistent with the lighting in the rest of the scene. When shading, it's important to consider which surfaces are being lit directly and which surfaces are obscured from the light source, or angled away from it. The distance from the edge of the 2D sprite should have no effect. Regardless of lighting, I think the perspective needs work. Try to imagine, if you were looking down on a person in real life, how certain parts of the body would line up differently. For starters, you would see a lot more of the top of the head, and the neck would be mostly hidden. I could go on, but I think you get the gist of what I'm saying.

Here's an edit of your base and your character. I hope you find it useful:

Offline Hazzy

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 05:10:09 pm
Um... what the eff? Who are you to say what light source MUST be use for ALL RPG characters? I'm sorry to be so blunt, but the lighting in your edit is just as poor as the lighting in Hazzy's original sprite.  They are both pillow-shaded.

Hazzy, I have found that an overhead light source works well for these kinds of characters (and makes things much easier for game art in general) because sprites can be mirrored and remain consistent with the lighting in the rest of the scene. When shading, it's important to consider which surfaces are being lit directly and which surfaces are obscured from the light source, or angled away from it. The distance from the edge of the 2D sprite should have no effect. Regardless of lighting, I think the perspective needs work. Try to imagine, if you were looking down on a person in real life, how certain parts of the body would line up differently. For starters, you would see a lot more of the top of the head, and the neck would be mostly hidden. I could go on, but I think you get the gist of what I'm saying.

Here's an edit of your base and your character. I hope you find it useful:

Yeah I get what you mean.
Your edit is really well done and I'll be studying from it. Next I'll try spriting a female base and see if I can apply the things you pointed out.
That also gave me a motivational boost, I was starting to think my base wasn't going to get me anywhere and I was about to up the dimensions a little. But yeah, I just need to keep practicing!
I'll be sticking with the overhead lightning too, considering I want to make an RPG game out of this and I need neutral lighting to work with. (Well I'm actually coding/spriting as I go along).
Anyway thanks. Time to get to work! :)

Offline Talvara

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 05:48:15 pm
(digging this thread up from the 3'd page, but seeing as the work is derived from this I figured it was the right thing to do)

I really fell in love with tehwexxl0rz's edit. up to the point that I was moved to turn it into a basic 4 direction sprite. I was considering using this in a game im planning, but seeing as it technically (and morally) isnt my work I decided against it, But I still want to share it with the rest of you incase it moves anybody else.

if you see something I aproached wrongly, be sure to let me know so I can look out for it in future work.

-x- Talvara.

edit: taking a step back from these now, I see that the sideview walk has a very big change in the shape of the foot. that is probably a bit of overkill there.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 05:51:32 pm by Talvara »