AuthorTopic: [wip][Update] Creature Tiles for Fall From Heaven the Roguelike  (Read 4494 times)

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio
OH HAI GUISE

Here's a new version:

First Update

This version adds three new humans (Warrior, Hunter and Scholar) and also a couple of adjustments and corrections in other sprite (like the dwarf scholar and the strong zombie warrior)

From left to right and top to bottom:

=Dwarves=
-Default/Commoner, Warrior/Guard, Hunter
-Adept, Thief, Scholar.

=Humans=
-Warrior, Hunter
-Adept, Thief, Scholar

=Skeletons=
-Default, Slave, Archer
-Warrior (KI tribute), Strong warrior, Fleshhunter
-Duelist, Reaver, Unique

=Zombies=
-Default, Slave, Archer
-Warrior, Strong Warrior (this one is a bit confusing  :-\), Fleshhunter
-Duelist, Reaver, Unique

Any feedback?

OLD VERSION:

So these are the creature tiles I've already made for Fall From Heaven the Roguelike, the other project I'm collaborating in back at Temple of the Roguelike.

I'm much more satisfied with these than with the animooted little green guy.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 12:12:05 pm by Psiweapon »

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [wip] Creature Tiles for Fall From Heaven the Roguelike

Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 03:50:44 am
I like the skeleton sprites. They have a lot of character and are surprisingly readable at this size, almost as if they were done by different people as supposed to the top and lower-right sprites. Let me try to analyze what defines their own "style" and, thus, gives me the impression that they were done by the aforementioned different people.

Ones on the top--I think they're dwarves?--lack a light-source. That is to say, it's not clear where the light is actually coming from. Is it coming from the top right? Overhead? Frontal? Actually it seems to be affecting various objects in various places (on the 1st dwarf, it affects his arms, and his pickaxe and legs to a slight extent), while other objects are flat and unlit, or pillow-shaded (1st dwarf's torso, beard, and all the dwarves' heads, pretty much). I do see you have trace amounts of hue-shifting, but not enough to notice at a glance. Palette also needs moar contrast.

Ones on the lower right share a similar proportion to the skeletons, and unlike that of the dwarves, but still aren't very readable. It's like you're trying to pack all of these tiny details into a tiny space. The result, many tiny stray pixels that can't be recognized as what they're supposed to be. Try to keep detail to a minimum at this size. Get rid of things that won't be noticed or, better yet, try to rework the sprites using large "clusters" of pixels that can be more easily read.

Offline lilwing

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 08:17:46 am
The dwarves don't really fit well with the other sprites for some reason... it could be the palette and size, relative to the others.

The rest of the sprites look nice, just need more contrast in some areas.

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 11:34:35 am
Ok I'll try to give some rationales/causes for some of the errors in these.

Well one reason for them having different proportions is taht in roguelikes, most of the time, each monster fits inside a tile, regardless of the monster's size. In NetHack a five-headed boss dragon is fit inside a 32x32 square, just the same as an orc or a fox. Maybe you know that already, but berhaps you don't because roguelikes are quite the niche games, having such a masochistic appeal and whatnot, like most of the time NOT EVEN HAVING GRAPHICS. So, very counter-intuitively, a smaller character ends up looking bigger because monsters aren't in scale.

About the lightsource, my you're right, the highlights are probably incoherent all over the place.

About the different styles... Well, the dwarves were the first tiles I did without any kind of reference, the game had some placeholder tiles lifted from I don't know where, and I just made up these dwarves, and that's how they came up. I tried to give them an air of civilized people, so that's why they're brighter than the other ones...

And about the zombies, well, I don't like zombies =/ that's probably why they turned up worse. The center one is probably the crappiest. Unreadable funky torso.

Offline DtFM

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 12:20:48 pm
The beards need more contrast, there are several different shades of orange in them that I can't see without zooming in several times.

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 01:03:54 pm
The beards need more contrast, there are several different shades of orange in them that I can't see without zooming in several times.

I tried fixing that editing the palette, but to no avail. Looks like I'll have to re-color them eventually.

Bumping for update.