AuthorTopic: [wip] Base Sprite for Into the Dungeon ++ (first upload)  (Read 2798 times)

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio
HAY GUISE  :D

I'm lending a hand in the art department of a couple of (as of yet!  8)) backwater roguelike projects, and for one of them I've gotta do two-frame animootions. I'm trying doing a base sprite and then editing it to make characters and monsters.

Soo those are the separate frames. Four directions, walking and idle. It's my first animated sprite  :crazy:

Idle animation. I didn't know what the heck to animate *idle* with so I went with feet tapping. I tried to do that bouncy thing but didn't manage to. Any advice / helpful links?

Walking animation. I used as reference some walking cycle tutorial I found around here. Cantremembername. But now I'm thinking that perhaps the second frame should be another pose, not the opposite contact pose.

Can it be C+C tiem nao? plz?  :)

Offline lilwing

• View Profile

Re: [wip] Base Sprite for Into the Dungeon ++ (first upload)

Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 08:13:54 am
e un pracer  ;D

the animations look all right, but the head needs to bob a little while walking.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 08:08:19 am
HAY GUISE  :D

I'm lending a hand in the art department of a couple of (as of yet!  8)) backwater roguelike projects, and for one of them I've gotta do two-frame animootions. I'm trying doing a base sprite and then editing it to make characters and monsters.

[snip snip snip snip]

Walking animation. I used as reference some walking cycle tutorial I found around here. Cantremembername. But now I'm thinking that perhaps the second frame should be another pose, not the opposite contact pose.

Can it be C+C tiem nao? plz?  :)

Two frame? I don't really know about that; as far as I've heard, or seen, it's practically impossible to pull off a two-frame walk cycle and make it look, well, THAT good. Or past decent, in any matter. It took me a while, actually, to distinguish between either frame in the walk cycle animations. Oh well. I figure it's limitations--at least make the sprites good.
My suggestion, perhaps do it the way some NES sprites did it (I think): make a sprite where the limbs are at full-swing, farthest from the body (like what you've got here, but make the back and front limbs harder to distinguish from eachother), also lifted up from the ground a bit. And then make another sprite, similar to the standing position where the limbs are about down (or just rework the standing position), and loop it of course. As for the animations where the character is walking up or down, you might have to sneak in a third sprite as well, and nudge it in between the two sprites you already have. On the lower right, you know, so it would go somewhat like this: left arm close, both arms down, right arm close, repeat.

Quick! An edit!

There's also this tutorial for decent two frame walk-cycles I encountered some years ago, if you're looking for an animated example, or haven't come across it already.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 08:10:00 am by pistachio »

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 10:18:16 am
Hey! Thanks for the 2-frame tutorial! It's awesome!

This base sprite isn't going to be used after all, we're going to settle for something more FF6-ish, so I'll have to do *another* base sprite, but oh well, it'll be blockier and therefore easier.

And I'm going to follow that tutorial to the letter.

I'm remembering SoulBlazer now, which had a funny looking walk cycle, almost like rotor legs X_D