AuthorTopic: [WIP] Creature with mask  (Read 8013 times)

Offline DungeonDan

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Creature with mask

Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 08:21:36 pm
This looks great i love every part of it keep it up

Offline chimico

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 12:00:14 am
The blue highlights are interesting and i love palettes based on brown and blue. but I can still notice a little 'noisy texturing' as pointed out by Shiny. why don't you adopt a 'macchiaioli' approach, that would be drawing large splashes of color, with soft edges, that melt gently into each other? i think especially the darkest and lightest spots should be slightly hinted, and not accentuated. you've already done what i mean on those two lines over his right eye, you should do the same everywhere and soften the harsh dark lines. i've had time just for the nose and mouth, but i hope it will be useful anyway:

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 03:55:24 am
Oh, well, for some reason I thought there was only the OP in this thread and I made an edit which mostly addresses points that Shiny has already covered. I'll share it anyway:

As for the new piece, I recommend altering the perspective so the horizon line is around eye-level with the subject, occluding the top of the hay.

Be mindful of noisy texture with stuff like hay and fur. Work in nice, clean pixel clusters to keep the pixel work crisp and readable.

Offline Sergiotron

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 01:11:28 pm
This looks great i love every part of it keep it up
Thanks!

The blue highlights are interesting and i love palettes based on brown and blue. but I can still notice a little 'noisy texturing' as pointed out by Shiny. why don't you adopt a 'macchiaioli' approach, that would be drawing large splashes of color, with soft edges, that melt gently into each other? i think especially the darkest and lightest spots should be slightly hinted, and not accentuated. you've already done what i mean on those two lines over his right eye, you should do the same everywhere and soften the harsh dark lines. i've had time just for the nose and mouth, but i hope it will be useful anyway:

Thanks for you edit!  :) I think it looks better  :y:

Oh, well, for some reason I thought there was only the OP in this thread and I made an edit which mostly addresses points that Shiny has already covered. I'll share it anyway:

As for the new piece, I recommend altering the perspective so the horizon line is around eye-level with the subject, occluding the top of the hay.

Be mindful of noisy texture with stuff like hay and fur. Work in nice, clean pixel clusters to keep the pixel work crisp and readable.
Thanks for your edit! It looks very good :) I will back to that little colorful version soon.

This is a new version I worked on yesterday (I haven't fixed the mask)

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 01:13:07 pm by Sergiotron »

Offline Sergiotron

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 04:45:09 pm
Little update

Offline Stratto

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 10:54:32 pm
I can totally picture this dude in a ff videogame.
are you sure you're a noob? this is very good! you seem to be using pretty advanced techniques on that last update

Offline Sergiotron

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 11:03:31 am
Thanks! Maybe I use those advanced techniques you say, but I still use them quite unconsciously. I want to control them more to be sure what I'm really doing  :)