AuthorTopic: Cartoony Character  (Read 6442 times)

Offline juuska

• View Profile

Cartoony Character

on: May 17, 2011, 08:05:15 pm
I'm thinking of releasing this character as a tee on Threadless.com, but I think it needs quite some work. Please give your opinions and and thoughts to improve it.  :)
E: Hoho, It's huge! O_o
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 08:09:22 pm by juuska »

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Cartoony Character

Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 09:23:57 pm
Huge indeed. So you want critique on it?

Shapes are pretty rough and you have a bad sense of form--it looks pretty flat--but I can see this working as sort of a paper cut-out sort of thing. Yeah, I know, kinda hard to get what I mean. I mean lose the outlines, maybe replace them with white? At least smooth out the shapes and pick out a better color palette, perhaps lighter and not so saturated. Also note, you don't really notice immediately but there are trace amounts of pillow shading you don't really notice unless looking at it up close.

Offline juuska

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 10:14:56 am
Thanks that really helped alot!

I made this whole thing on paint.net with mouse month ago, when I hadn't tablet. I'm thinking of redrawing It on Illustrator. With the smooth brush on it, I should get rid of those rought shapes. I just gotta figure out how to get my pic as a background image on Illustrator :-[ Is there anyone familiar with that particular program? :P

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 05:59:05 pm
I don't have Illustrator handy, but I believe it's File->Import or something to that effect.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 02:34:03 am
Nah, just drag and drop it in. It'll be an ex-ref by default, or you can embed it.

Put it on it's own layer, probably lower it's opacity to ghost it out and then lock the layer. Draw on another layer above it.

Or you can cheat and simply vector trace it to get it all vectorized real quick. Though, this may end up costing time since there's always plenty of manual clean-up needed.