AuthorTopic: GR#061 - Werewolf - Low Res Game Art  (Read 23447 times)

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Werewolf game sprites

Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 04:26:58 pm
Pavers are better. Though, I highly recommend knocking down contrast. Meant to mention that last post. New doors good.

So we're going for swiss-esque archictecture with the large beams and plaster look? Koo

Did a quick edit, suggesting a further paver street change and addressed building roofs' priority. (palette not followed for expedience)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 04:28:44 pm by Mathias »

Offline Unhero

• View Profile
    • My works

Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 05:11:19 pm
dark roof looks better  :)

Offline talin

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: June 02, 2011, 06:45:15 pm
This is incredibly cool. I would definitely go for the dark roof version, though.

Offline talin

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: June 02, 2011, 07:26:05 pm
Just out of curiosity: what tools are you using for your project? What do you use for animating your sprites as you create them,
what sort of game development tools, etc? I just begun working on something similar myself... Do you use some sort of multiplier
to make it work with high resolutions?

Offline knivel

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: June 02, 2011, 08:52:46 pm
Just out of curiosity: what tools are you using for your project? What do you use for animating your sprites as you create them,
what sort of game development tools, etc? I just begun working on something similar myself... Do you use some sort of multiplier
to make it work with high resolutions?

I use Photoshop CS4 for the sprites. The game engine I'm using uses traditional sprite sheets, so I work in Photoshop's .psb file format with the sprites laid out as they'll be used by the engine. To save out animated .gifs for critique on this site, I've got an "animation" .psd that I load the .psb file into as a smart object. Then I make a layer mask the size of a tile and slide the smart object sprite sheet around for each frame. That way, I can update the sprite sheet and just reload the smart object in the animation .psd to update the animation version. Finally, I save it out for web as a .gif at 200% side with "nearest neighbor" as the scale mode to avoid interpolated pixels. For the actual in-game sprites, I simply save the .psb file as a .png and I'm good to go. This is a new workflow for me that I came up with for this project, but so far it's been working pretty well.

As far as the other game development tools, I use the Flixel flash game library with FlashDevelop for writing code and the Flex compiler for compiling. When it comes time for audio, I plan to use bfxr for sound effects and musagi for music. Those tools all tend to default to a retro, 8-bit style, which is why I like using them together. Flixel has a built in resolution multiplier for that purpose, so I use that to blow my sprites up to x2 in game.

Offline knivel

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: June 04, 2011, 08:39:58 pm
Again, thanks for the continuing feedback, guys! Here's my latest take on the buildings and pavers:

"Oh God, what have I done!?"

As you can see, there are a few new sprites in there as well. I've added:

- Broken down versions of the doors.
- A bottle of werewolf cure.
- Piles of boxes.

Here's the werewolf cure by itself:

And here is the animated box pile (the boxes are dropped by the player and will pile up):

Finally, here are three variations of a slash animation for when the werewolf is breaking through doors and box piles:

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: June 05, 2011, 10:46:11 am
You still really need to darken up those streets (see Mathias' edit). Right now, it looks like they're made of diamonds. You can't possibly afford, in any time period, to pave your entire town's streets with diamonds.

Also, for now I'm assuming that's the inside of a building, but it's looking rather bland. At first glance, I thought that was a patch of grass surrounded by a fence. It's still pretty bright, as if the sun's hitting it straight-on, so I say do the same thing you did with the streets and try darkening that, too. Consider adding some props, too, but then again that part's just something I'd like to see and not necessarily something you have to do.

Offline knivel

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: June 07, 2011, 04:12:00 pm
Thanks for the feedback, pistachio. I've got to say though, I'm actually getting pretty fond of the diamond streets. I haven't been able to cook up anything that works as well for background separation with the characters while still looking like daytime. I can't get near Mathia's edit without adding some more desaturated colors to the palette, which I'm not totally against doing, but I'd like to exhaust my options using the palette first.

Maybe my eye is totally off or I've just been staring at the tiles too long, but I'm seeing the current version as a mottled white cobblestone, sort of like this: http://elliottback.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/old-san-juan-02-street.jpg

Anyway, I'll continue to noodle with it.

For now, I did change the building interior colors. I like the warm look with the pink floor, but the female sprites are getting lost in it. I might just change her dress color if I'm sold on the pink floor. What do you guys think?

Offline Candy Man Criminal

• ~Reality is a plague, we're the medication~
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: June 07, 2011, 05:15:50 pm
the pink floor feels very out of place with the color scheme of everything else

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: June 07, 2011, 05:22:59 pm
It's still pretty hard to read people against the cobblestone. Even if it won't be realistic, it's better to take some artistic liberties and make it work well.

Or you could just change the people, like this-

(I only took about thirty seconds, so of course it's not perfect)

Just darkened the outlines on the arms and added a very simple shadow. Makes it pop. Contrast is always good.