AuthorTopic: GR#061 - Werewolf - Low Res Game Art  (Read 23443 times)

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Re: [WIP] Werewolf game sprites

Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 11:08:36 am
Glad you found my edit helpful! :) I think the wolf's hands read fine.

My only critiques now are that the legs don't seem to bend at the knees, the feet just kind of flop, and the human only seems to have elbows in the forward-facing sprite.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 09:29:24 pm
Yep, wolf reads good, IMO too.

My only critiques now are that the legs don't seem to bend at the knees, the feet just kind of flop, and the human only seems to have elbows in the forward-facing sprite.

Really? Do you think there's enough pixels to actually indicate joints bending, man? I think it looks good as is.

He does need to get these 1st two sprites right, so they're like a template, or standard, he can use to apply to all subsequent human sprites. Once he moves onto the next assets, these this human/wolf combo needs to not get revised for fear of breaking continuity, don't you think?

Offline knivel

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 05:07:42 am
Thanks for the feedback guys, and sorry for the delay since the last update! I decided to move onto the townspeople, so here's the first one with his walk, run and death animations:

Edit: Hrm, I'm not sure where those white pixels around his head in the forward-facing walk are about. I'll fix that in the next update.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 05:12:19 am by knivel »

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 05:37:56 am
Hehe, these are cool. The villager doesn't look panicked enough imo. How about having him wave his arms around more to distinguish his animation from the werewolf's?

Offline knivel

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011, 10:36:59 pm
@ErekT: Thanks for the feedback! I messed around with making the arms wave, and I couldn't get it to look satisfactory. At this point I've decided to trudge ahead.

The werewolf is a firm believer in gender-equality when it comes to his victims. Here's the female townsperson:

The character sprites are taking up a lot of time, so we'll see if I have time to go back and do a child version. I'll be starting on background tiles next.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 09:09:12 pm
@ErekT: Thanks for the feedback! I messed around with making the arms wave, and I couldn't get it to look satisfactory. At this point I've decided to trudge ahead.

The werewolf is a firm believer in gender-equality when it comes to his victims. Here's the female townsperson:

The character sprites are taking up a lot of time, so we'll see if I have time to go back and do a child version. I'll be starting on background tiles next.

Still the lovers, the hunter, the sorceress, the oligomancer (divination), the hunter, Cupido, the thief and the captain, and  you'll be done with the cast :-)

Offline TheChannel

• Sky Rockets in Flight, Afternoon Delight.
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 11:17:36 pm
I know this was kinda already said but the side walking does look like the legs are like tentacles and flop around. Although it is hard to do anything with legs on a small scale like that.

Offline knivel

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 06:45:33 pm
Thanks for the feedback, guys! The floppy feet really stick out to me now that you guys have mentioned it, although I think it's less noticeable in game with the character moving around. I'll keep it in mind, and maybe I'll attempt a fix later when I'm polishing things.

Meanwhile, I've forged ahead with the world map tiles. Here's a screenshot of the town:

Please ignore the doors which obviously don't match the palette. They're remnants of my placeholder art.

I'll be adding detail objects such as windows, chimneys, street lights, fences, etc. next.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: May 30, 2011, 06:52:44 pm
whoa woa wo, the rainbow-colored pavers gotta go. Something more neutral.

Offline knivel

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 03:13:50 pm
Haha, fair enough, Mathias. To be honest, I was noodling around with different patterns and colors for the ground for hours so I probably started losing perspective. My trouble is I want the ground to have an overall grayish look, but I can't seem to find any colors in the palette that don't contrast or vibrate with the gray too much. Anyway, I've tried pulling out some of the more rainbow colors for a more neutral look. It still strikes me as a little noisy for a background, though.

The new doors are in there, too. The little blue door mats are intended to help the player find the doors located on the sides of buildings that would otherwise be occluded by the roof.