AuthorTopic: South Park Sprites (without outlines)  (Read 7000 times)

Offline TripleM

• View Profile

South Park Sprites (without outlines)

on: May 17, 2011, 10:31:57 am
I realized after I started making my South Park Sprites and posting them is that in the show hey don't have outline so I removed the black outlines and I'm reposting them with out the outlines and I will soon make Kyle which I will post on this Topic. Here are the Sprites without outlines:

Cartman:

Kenny:

Stan:

Finished Kyle here he is:

Please give me feedback and I was also wondering would anyone like me to make the snow scene background and make it into a desktop wallpaper so that I can upload for you guys?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 11:11:21 am by TripleM »
Pixels make my head work. Not hurt

Offline DtFM

• View Profile

Re: South Park Sprites (without outlines)

Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 01:09:58 pm
You are still putting black lines between the different colours. Have a look at this picture of Stan:

Very little black, and some of the black lines that are there are too thin to be represented by black pixels in your small sprites. Also notice how his head is bigger than the rest of his body, try to work on your proportions.

Offline thedaemon

• thedaemon
    • View Profile
    • personal website

Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 06:22:05 pm
You are not drawing circles for the head, you have straight lines. Perhaps this image will help.
gemini://thedaemons.space
https://thedaemons.space

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 08:15:29 am
Honestly, I say you shouldn't care about the outlines, if you keep the right proportions because *that* small, some colors can look really jarring next to each other.

I think that here readability should have higher priority than "realism" (moar liek southparkism).

But what the hell do I know?  :crazy:

And, most important of all: Hey! South Park!   :y::lol:

Offline DtFM

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 08:58:10 am
Honestly, I say you shouldn't care about the outlines, if you keep the right proportions because *that* small, some colors can look really jarring next to each other.

The colors next to each other are jarring in the show too, it is just part of the South Park aesthetic.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 10:48:36 am
I think these characters would be a lot more interesting and visually pleasing if you chose to interpret the designs in your own style instead of striving to emulate the style of the show. As media, paper cutouts and pixels present very different strengths and weaknesses.

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 12:10:05 am
EDIT: Kyle's icon is the best of the quartet, I'd use it as a base for the other ones. Also, it's much more expressive. Perhaps the outlines issue could be settled by using outlines, just not plain black.

The colors next to each other are jarring in the show too, it is just part of the South Park aesthetic.

I meant jarring in the sense that makes your eyes go dizzy. As in medium green dots against bright red background. Not just ugly, actually difficult to look at. Perhaps that isn't called jarring, sorry  ???

I think these characters would be a lot more interesting and visually pleasing if you chose to interpret the designs in your own style instead of striving to emulate the style of the show. As media, paper cutouts and pixels present very different strengths and weaknesses.

That's what I was thinking, just a lot more properly laid out. Kudos for the phrasing.  :)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 12:14:39 am by Psiweapon »