AuthorTopic: [WIP] 3000 Miles Under London - survival horrorish steampunk concept c&c please  (Read 4056 times)

Offline Savick

• View Profile
3000 Miles Under London is a project I've been developing for about 2 weeks now. The aim is for it to be survival horror inspired with a steampunk theme. I'm thinking of making it an animation before making it a game and using the animation as a pitch to programmers I need for the uh...programming. The game has RPG elements like a planned 3 point leveling system called D.I.G. (Discovery Points, Item Points, and Gore Points.) DP is gained by exploring the map and getting all the squares, such as it was in Super Metroid. IP is gained by crafting items out of found objects in order to survive and upgrade your gear. GP is gained by brutally slaying enemies on the level. The main player character's name is Edgar Edison (which can be changed like in an RPG - he's also the classic silent protagonist) The thing in the middle of the level screen is called a drill house. Think of it as a scary cabin in the woods, made of metal, and able to move between level locations on the overworld map (well, underworld map). I'll add more as it gets done and gets c+c'd. Oh! Edgar rides a heavy buzz saw unicycle which he grinds into foes with cool tricks as a melee weapon.

That's about all I've got for now. I'd like it a whole bunch if I could get some comments when you guys wanna comment.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile
IMO, "Survival" or "Horror" weren't the first two things that struck me when I first saw this. I got more of a "Nightmare before Christmas" sort of vibe, if anything, and a little something else which I can't put my finger on.

The house's perspective is rather off considering this is being viewed from the side. Additionally it seems a bit small for a house, more of a shed, in which case it'd be more apparently makeshift. Some planks, some gaps in the planks, or planks on the windows. Palette also seems a bit saturated and colorful for such a game. And the... Thing to the left to the house doesn't seem to make much sense at all. Some sort of mustachioed unicycling robot in a red jumpsuit? Not something I'd expect to see in a game like what you described really.

Yeah I'm definitely tired now. I'll try to get an edit up by tomorrow, but I hope you get my idea generally.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 08:38:49 am by pistachio »

Offline Savick

• View Profile
@pistachio I look forward to your edit and thanks for the comment. I tried something I wasn't sure of with the perspective so oops. Maybe it isn't survival horror, I just couldn't think of another way to describe it. Maybe it is Nightmare Before Christmasish. 

Cleaned up a bit and reduced to 16 colors. Also made the Edgar into a wheel robot type guy, legs just got in the way. I think I'll make it so he has a retractable buzz saw or blades between the wheel like in a circular sheath. So, when he goes to attack enemies, the blades come out when he does an attack move, but retract when he's moving about.

Offline TheChannel

• Sky Rockets in Flight, Afternoon Delight.
    • View Profile
Never ever save your sprite picture as a JPG.
If you don't have a backup copy then you may be in trouble.   :o
(That is for the previous post picture)

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • View Profile
AAH! JPEG! Definitely don't use that one in-game.

However, from what I can see, the robot thing still seems a bit ill-defined. Perhaps make a large-scale sketch to get an idea of what you're drawing, then scale that down and draw over/from that?

When I said the house's perspective was off... Well, it's still off now. It seems buried in the ground the way it is now, especially considering the side-view/platformer perspective. The back side of the house shouldn't dip down.

When I said the house's size was off, that wasn't what I meant either. Make the house bigger, but not the door. Now the robot just seems smaller. It could use another story, but I'm not sure how that would work.

Well, I'm working on an edit now. If I could only get my dang tablet to work...

Offline DoctorDRG

• View Profile
Prefered the colours of the house before you brought the count down to 16.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 12:40:45 pm by DoctorDRG »

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • View Profile
Judging by the picture I saw earlier (DoctorDRG), that's some real originality you've got there...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 11:34:59 am by pistachio »

Offline DoctorDRG

• View Profile
Judging by the picture I saw earlier (DoctorDRG), that's some real originality you've got there...
Yep!  :lol: