AuthorTopic: Some sprites and isometric tiles for my game [WIP] [c+c]  (Read 3776 times)

Offline bit_abuser

• View Profile
Hey guys :)

I started working on an indie RPG would love some comments on how to improve my spritework.

This is the first time I'm trying pixel art, so be gentle ;)

« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 10:58:48 am by bit_abuser »

Offline bit_abuser

• View Profile

Re: Some sprites for my game [WIP] [c+c]

Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 10:58:22 am
I changed the colors and intensity a little bit to make it more realistic:

Is that better?

Also, does anyone know of a tutorial or can show me a good example of transition between water and sand tiles? I've tried a few methods, but I'm not satisfied with them.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 11:01:10 am by bit_abuser »

Offline Im King Louie

• View Profile

Re: Some sprites and isometric tiles for my game [WIP] [c+c]

Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 06:17:57 pm
Well your tree has a lot of colors that look so similar I can barely tell the difference in them, you could do without so many colors.  And all the colors on the tree are one hue of brown.  A good palette uses cool colors for areas facing away from the light source and warm colors for objects facing towards the light source.

It also seems like you have some semitransparent pixels on the edges of the tree.  This means that you must have saved the image with 32-bit pixel depth.  A defining characteristic of pixel art is that all sprites use few colors and no alpha transparency.  8-bit images can't contain alpha transparency.

Your hero and monster have a lot of "pillow shading".  Pillow shading is when you have an object with highlights or shadows radiating from the center of the shape.

There's a good tutorial in this link: http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299&PID=139322#139322

You can compare your sprites to the examples there.

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Re: Some sprites and isometric tiles for my game [WIP] [c+c]

Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 12:42:46 am
Hay guise!

I'm no expert but here are my two cents:

Everything needs moar contrast, in particular the guy. He's way too bright, specially the shadows.

You need to make the floor tiles less regular, because if you can actually see the grid. Tiles shouldn't show any features that line up with the actual grid - it breaks the illusion.

On the artsy side, some frilly stuff (roots, tufts of grass) where the trees meet the ground would really be worth the effort - just a couple of details here and there and, voilą, spiffy tree.

Very good for a first timer, though. Real horrorshow   :y::lol: Keep up the good work. DO polish this, it has the potential for awesome!