AuthorTopic: Western Lords  (Read 4505 times)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Western Lords

on: May 05, 2006, 12:54:27 am
For some time (A year?) I've been pixeling for Western Lords, a DS game from an indy company (with publisher contract though). I made some sprites to test a new style this week, and since they're not going to be used t
here, our director allowed me to show them here.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 12:19:00 pm by Gil »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Western Lords

Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 01:07:41 am
base reminds me of a project i kinda sorta unofficially left, The Mana World.  Character makes me think breath of fire meets wild arms.  either way, awsome job :P  my only concern is that they feel a bit flat
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 01:29:26 am
I love the run/walk animations, and the sprite itself is great. My only real gripe is that, assuming this is meant to be in your standard rpg semi-topdown view (as the run/walk cycles imply), the angles on the gun drawing and shooting animations are off. The guns should point somewhat downwards, not straight at the viewer.

Otherwise, great work. Really loving the fluidity of most of these.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 07:15:00 am
looks very nice, Ive been looking forward to this game for quite a while, and its nice to get a sneek peak at some of the sprites
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 01:34:46 pm
Thanks for the comments people :D

I added a sitting pose and made mockups of the shooting and kneeling anims

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 07:51:09 pm
very nice :)
i like the walking one and where he stands up from a kneeling position best.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 09:28:51 pm
These are great. I think I stumbled upon the game's site a while ago. Looks cool.
The only crit I have is that, in addition to what Kevin said about the gun's angle, the firecone also looks odd since its center is never completely bright. It seems to have a dark pixel there, which looks really wierd.

Is the kneeling animation supposed to be divided into 4 parts? ie. standing, kneeling, kneeling lower, and kneeling low with "!"
If not, it looks wierd 'cause he kinda goes down, then jerks for a sec, then goes down some more.

sonic_reaper

Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 03:57:02 am
Gil you shouldn't have advertised them as being Western Lords sprites ... oh well ... actually that doesnt' really matter much.

My thought on them (and I never said before) is they're fuild but a it's the small things here and there that kinda depreciate their quality.  Such as the unnatural movement of the arms in the walk cycle.  They should swing back and forth.  The way Bandana is walking there is very strange.  The head looks strangely flat on the running animation.  Enlarge the back of the head so that it appears his head is actually titled forward.  There are other things.  I can elaborte further if you wish.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #8 on: May 06, 2006, 12:22:39 pm
Hey, I mentioned they aren't going to be used, it's better than not mentioning they're for WL, because then people will think they're official, as someone did on IRC.

Can you elaborate a bit on what you mean with the arms? And yeah, the head is a tad strange on the running, but fleshing the hair on top is only going to furtherly skew the perspective, which is already off. I'll look into it...