AuthorTopic: Medieval-age themed mockup!  (Read 6316 times)

Offline Valkrist

• View Profile

Medieval-age themed mockup!

on: May 11, 2011, 05:34:15 am
Hey! Lurker reporting to first post.

Here is a sort of mockup i've been fooling around with.
I know it's kinda empty and doesn't really depict much gameplay. But what the hell!

"In this sort of gritty-sidescroller-adventure, with an interactive narrative focus, you would incarnate the princess of a kingdom which suffers the detriment of heavy censorship, orchestrated by it's ruler, The King of Thought.
Revolting against her grim father and slowly uncovering the plot to keep the nation in a retrograde state the princess will travel far across the nation's border to face the truth."  

and here is a C64 recolor that i liked  :crazy:

Crits more than encouraged of course!
Thanks!

PD:I know this board is about the art. But I really like telling this crap!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 10:42:53 am by Valkrist »

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Medieval-age themed mockup!

Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 08:05:06 am
Me likey. So far.

Only thing I would suggest--the walls look a bit bland in places where there aren't tiles defining a brick pattern. Even then, those have pretty heavy lines. Perhaps have some more small brick tiles, and/or some large brick tiles--both would have thin(ner) lines.

Now, though, the princesses' right arm, the arm we can see, seems pretty stiff. Maybe lay down some pixels defining an elbow/slightly bent arm? Same with the guard's left arm. Perhaps in a hands-on-hips sort of position, with his cape draped over it. If you don't get the idea I'll make an edit.

Other than that the plot sounds interesting. Maybe it's just me and the recent release of its sequel, but I'm vaguely reminded of Portal. (Must I explain? Discovering the darker truth out of curiosity and rebellion. Or something. On that note, you might want to make the contrast higher. A little orange or at least more contrast on the torch tiles, which also seem a bit dark considering they're a source of light, might make for an interesting touch BTW.)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 08:13:52 am by pistachio »

Offline Valkrist

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 10:39:53 am
Hey thanks Pistachio!

Well, didn't do much... palette change + two colors (dark line on bricks and brightest fire), though i feel bad for not using them somewhere else too, and fixed girl's arm.
This was supposed to be kind of minimalistic but I think I blew it.

Would really apreciate and edit on the dude, or bricks... Or anything!!! I JUST WANT AN EDIT MAN!!

PD: will get into doing more brick tiles.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 10:42:13 am by Valkrist »

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 01:05:06 pm
Probably just personal opinion, but I actually likes the darker colors more: it gave it a gloomy, under-lit atmosphere. Now with more contrast, some colors are farther apart from eachother, easier to discern. Perhaps some dithering in some places may benefit the image but this is only a guess, just like my last suggestion.

This edit's quite lazy but mostly I did it just now because it sounded like you were going to strangle me if I didn't.

Orange contrasts a lot with blue. Warm against cool. I also used greys to blend them in a bit, which I also used on the princess, to make her "pop" if you will--being the protagonist is an important part of the story after all. Same with text.

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 04:14:50 pm
I agree with trying to make the characters pop, after all they should be on a higher visual priority than the background. I like what you did with the walls, but right now your eye focuses more on those orange lights than anything else.

Offline Valkrist

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 01:01:50 am
I keep thanking u Pistachio. You didn't have to do it if you didn't want to. I wasn't gonna strangle you anyways :) (For now)
Dunno if i went by your edit's lines too much. Im kinda reluctant to abandon the blue-green-orange ramp.
But went back to darker colors, added some variety to the walls and retouched stuff here and there. I also think the readability problems are a little compesanted now. Opinions?

As for the story, I might be influenciated by Vortex 2, a game so similar to Portal 2 that many people believes it's the same game (hint: it is).
Jokes aside, this is the kind of story one invents while drawing.

And even though TripleM's dobuts have been vanished, i'll answer:
I use Super Awesome Automatic Pixel Art Creator! which if you take the "automatic" word out leaves you with Photoshop.

It also created this:

Offline TripleM

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 01:18:30 am
cool but not detailed
Pixels make my head work. Not hurt

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 04:10:04 am
I disagree with it not being detailed.  There's actually quite a bit of detail if you know where to find it, such as a lot of nicks in the walls, grime on the top, the carved linings in the wall, etc.

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 05:16:50 am

Quick edit: Tried to give your princess some more form and definition, and tweaked the palette just a little bit to get more pop. The guard, door and walls look good to me so I didn't touch them. You may be over-AA'ing a little on the curves of those windows.

Offline Valkrist

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 06:17:03 am
@KittenMaster:
Glad you noticed the grime   :)

@ErekT:
Thanks for editing! And I see your points. Tweaked the pallete acording to your suggestions and our girly's arm (which i loved in your version. I just couldn't get ir right!).
Now, two things i didn't like are that the princess looks really thin and that the font is overkill (1000% more readable, but it's just too much).
Won't post new one because it's just slighly different to what we have right now.

Initially this was supposed to be super simple, flat colors, one point of AA here and there; some gfxs to try in a pretty cool game maker software (http://www.scirra.com/). But no! It had to get fancy stuff! Like highlights!
Anyways, thanks!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 07:13:17 am by Valkrist »

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • View Profile

Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 07:23:24 am
Maybe you could tone down the saturation of the lighter colors (namely green--looks a bit odd from my point of view), just a tiny bit? And if you still want to give it the flat, minimalistic feel you were originally going along with, maybe get rid of that lighter color used on the torches? Just my two cents.

Offline Valkrist

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 07:59:56 am
Brought the saturation down a tad. And I think i'm keeping the bright fire. Looks flashy!

And talking about flashy. I finally understood that any of you n00bs were giving useful critique. So I did what the pros do:

ADDED SOME GRADIENT OVERLAYS, NOISE, SHARPENING, A TEXTURE, CHROMATIC ABERRATION, FANCY LAYER EFFECTS AND THE BEST THING IN DAH WURLD: LENS FLARE!!!!!11oneone
OF COURSE, ALL SAVED AS JPEG!!!11 BECAUSE IT IS THE BEST FORMAT EV3R!!one

PD:please don't ban me for this :b

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 08:19:26 am
The wall in your flashy special effect actually looks really good.  :o

This is a hidden benefit of pixelling in this style!

Offline trough

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 12:48:25 pm

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 01:42:44 pm
don't change it

Offline big brother