AuthorTopic: sprite crit  (Read 6020 times)

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

sprite crit

on: May 08, 2011, 10:45:43 pm
Hi guys,

Haven't been here in a while, just wanted to run a sprite past your expert eyes before I continue with the other animations:

I believe there's 7 colours in the sprite itself, and I'd rather keep it low as it's quite easy to animate that way.

Thanks!

Offline StaticSails

• View Profile

Re: sprite crit

Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 02:31:09 am
Just quickly look at it I think the left arm (her right) could be a bit longer and the hand looks short or jusst .. stiff? If that's a fist I think .... I don't know. But the arm does look short and unnaturally posed.

You can easily AA the shadows on the legs with that knee color.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 02:43:19 am
Addressing StaticSails, I think it's the upper arm. Little to no movement in it. However, although I would suggest sub-pixelling, I myself only have a vague idea of what it is. Furthermore I've never done it before.

The arm holding the flashlight, namely forearm, also has only a bit of movement in it. Perhaps make it bob up and down a bit more. Other than that, I like where you're going with this animation.

Offline DtFM

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 05:41:40 am
The fingers on her right hand are spread out and straight. It would be more natural if they were bunched together and bent.

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 05:58:29 am

The color choice is appealing and the leg movement looks nice and natural. This is actually 9 colors; two of them are very very similar so you could either brighten the lightest one up to say, 255, 245, 222 or something to make those highlights you drew in there visible. Or just combine it with the other yellow.

I think I understand why you opted to move her left arm sideways, but unfortunately right now it kinda looks like she's poking something with a stick. So, maybe bob it up and down a bit like pistachio suggested?

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 10:54:44 pm
  Thanks all - have made an update mainly to the arms.  Removed the beam for the mo since it was adding extra colours, I didn't want to confuse the palette.  Couldn't get the torch bobbing up and down, but smoothened out the sideways movement, so hopefuly it looks less jabby.  Thanks for the crits all - any further still welcome.

Offline Martyr

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 11:02:39 pm
Left hand movement should be more synchronized with the right leg. Right arm should be synch'd with the left leg.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 01:46:53 am
Made another variation  :blind:

slight bounce version
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 03:29:49 am by Froli »

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 01:47:19 am
Left hand movement should be more synchronized with the right leg. Right arm should be synch'd with the left leg.

Are you sure you're not thinking of it backwards? Looks fine as it is now, other than the lack of vertical movement in the left forearm that still persists. But ah well, it's better than it was last time. Not to say I'd like to see what this would look like.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 03:10:10 am
She looks off-balance, like she might tip over backward if someone poked her in the chest. I think it mainly has to do with the hips almost being infront of the head, I'd try shift the hips back a bit.

I agree with the statements about her right arm looking short. Elbow should be lower, I think.

Shoulders seem a bit narrow. Legs seem short or crotch too low. That coupled with the large head makes her look childlike, which clashes with the exaggerated boob-bounce.

I also agree a bit of bounce to the arm holding to torch will really help the sense of weight and motion.

A more general crit is "character". Not really getting any sense of her feelings about what she is doing. She's just kind of blank expression with a standard kind of walk. The open hand implies she is tense, but the face looks almost bored and the walk is kind of hum-drum, like a kind of "damn circuit-breaker has clicked off again..." situation. I say either relax the hand, or tense the walk and face.

Those are the main things I can see at this stage :)