AuthorTopic: Trying a new style [C&C Needed]  (Read 2895 times)

Offline TheShard1994

• View Profile

Trying a new style [C&C Needed]

on: May 08, 2011, 01:02:20 pm
Hey,

I was trying out a new style, and came up with this:

(The hands are supposed to be big)

However, I'm not completely happy with it. I think it might do better with selective outlining, but I have never really done that before. Could someone tell me how it works?

Thanks!
Lorenzo

Offline StaticSails

• View Profile

Re: Trying a new style [C&C Needed]

Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 04:42:53 pm
I don't think you should worry about styles too much right now. Try to practice the fundamentals of art (they're fundamentals for a reason) and practice pixelling techniques. I'm not saying make everything super realistic, but a stronger understand of light, form and color will help you out. Anatomy too.

Once you've figured out the rules you can start breaking them.

I'll post an edit soon. :]

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 06:48:38 pm
black shadow on the face seems too dark, nothing else is covered in such a dense shadow, so it's hard to believe the lighting would be so harsh in just that one spot. The lack of fingers is a little weird. You don't have to define every finger, but try to shape the hand in a more natural, finger-having shape. references are helpful and readily found. the shading on the shirt confuses me, you should worry more about defining the volumes of his torso with areas of light and dark. if it's supposed to be his muscles showing through, it's a little extreme (air-tight shirt), and muscles are more naturally defined by the way your light source hits them than they are by lines. pose is a kinda stiff, you ideally want the body language of the character to match the personality, and this dude doesn't seem to be rocking out.

Offline TheShard1994

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 07:22:00 pm
Thx for the critics :)

How's this? Reshaded the chest, redid the legs, gave the hands fingers, removed the black face shading

Offline StaticSails

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 02:26:27 am
vs.
Edit.
Softened those black lines and fixed the guitar. :] Played with the face too.
Same amount of colors, can easily lose the black though.

Your hair style made no sense.