AuthorTopic: GR#050 - I am Legion  (Read 9878 times)

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

GR#050 - I am Legion

on: May 08, 2011, 02:51:38 am

tall format (might making zooming easier) or maybe:

still got some clean up to do, crits would be cool

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: I Am Legion

Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 03:31:55 am
Love it! Great everything. Seems like a classic not meant to be altered.

Font is the real bugger. Too high contrast; use a darker color. Like the dropcaps, though.

Who wrote this?

Cure, a bong!? There goes the children's book vibe!

*EDIT - the title. I know it's a Biblical reference to a man possessed by multiple demons at the same time, and I understand the connection, but that account from the Bible isn't exactly pretty. Demon possession, etc. I dunno, something more light-hearted would be nice. 'I Am Legion' purports to be a little too serious.
What is the intended implementation/destiny for this piece, if any? Not sure whether the block or vertical strip is best. I prefer the strip. It spares you the temptation to look ahead compulsively and spoil the next panel before you're ready for it.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 03:39:57 am by Mathias »

Offline Ovyx

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 03:43:10 am
I know its petty of me to ask why the refrigerator doors open in different directions and to ask for a little lighting on the little cacti, since you did it on the other cactus, but I have to, everything else is too perfect here, your art is rather inspiring.  :)

Offline Cure

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 04:12:39 am
good points:

There are a couple different biblical references to possession. Legion- the man who was possessed with many demons, is one. Mostly it's the second of these verses:

Matthew 12: 28-30 I
If I cast out demons by the Spirit of God, then the Kingdom of God has come unto you. How can one break into a strong man’s house and take his property, unless he first ties up the strong man? Then he can plunder the house. He who is not with me is against me, he who doesn’t gather with me, scatters.
And Matthew 12: 43-45
When an unclean spirit leaves a man, it wanders through the desert looking for rest, and finding none. Then it says, ‘I will return to the house from whence I came’, and when it comes, it find it unoccupied and swept clean. Then he returns with seven other spirits more wicked than itself, and they go in and dwell there, and the person is worse off than before.

I guess the title does sound a little dire, might change it. no intended implementation for this piece. strip also works best for pj's zoom system, so I'll probably go with that format.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 05:57:59 am by Cure »

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 04:18:19 am
This is my favorite piece of yours. The colors are fantastic! - they remind me of the NES palette.

I agree with Ovyx, the cactus jumps out as "unfinished."

Offline Grinner

• <3
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 05:30:50 am
This is very nice, the poem/story is also interesting, I'm reminded of Dr. Seuss.

The fridge door opening the wrong way is quite odd, I suggest changing that.

I don't think the cactus is that bad, as it follows the same cartoony trend as the other objects in the strip.

Offline Ovyx

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 05:50:07 am
     Actually, what I meant when I was talking about the fridge is that the doors open in 2 different directions, based on handle position, this is usually not found in fridgerators, as it would be inconvenient. You were right to flip it to the other side, but you also should move the upper door's handle to the right now, and it would be more logical.
I suggested a just a little bit on the cacti just to make them less 2D, they looked kinda flat, I know it is a good idea to give background objects less detail, but the cylinder forms are just a bit hard to discern, IMO.
I love the AA and the texture transition to darkness on schemers wall.

Offline Cure

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 05:57:16 am
Yeah, I understand you now. updated the last update, don't want to post too many edits and have this page get too long.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 06:02:21 am
So you wrote it then? You're apparently a bit of a poet, judging from the last couple things you've shared. I like it.

Ah, see I don't remember reading those scriptures before. So you're weaving in some extra meaning there, almost basing your "plot" on the ideas found in those verses. Pretty cool. I've always found the Bible very inspiring, too.

Love your low-res pixelling.

Offline Cure

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 06:24:27 am
thanks. I'm trying to write more, and get my writing and visual art to work together.

I guess I'm trying to reinterpret the verses. The idea that what's being discussed is actually demonic creatures that live inside of you is silly, so if I'm gonna get anything out of the verses about possession, I'll have to interpret them differently than I learned in sunday school.
It seems much more sensible to me that the demons are our habitual thought patterns, namely the useless or destructive ones- the voices in our head during an inner monologue, and not a lieutenant of the dark lord. if we maintain attentiveness, then these mental habits can't break in and take over our thinking (tie up the strong man). But these 'demons' scatter before the light of conscious attentiveness. If we slack off in staying alert, then the mental habits will continue unchecked, and so multiply (come back with 7 more demons).

The specific demons mentioned were just the general type of side-tracking thought patterns I observe most often in myself.