AuthorTopic: 24x32 RPG character template / animations  (Read 5894 times)

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

24x32 RPG character template / animations

on: May 07, 2011, 10:25:39 pm
Hi again guys,

Thanks a lot for helping me on the 32x52 RPG character topic:
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=12266.0
I will be working on that anytime again soon... in the meantime I want to show you guys this character template 24x32 that is meant to be used in games that are 320x240 resolution. I have only made the Man / Woman template, and I would like to have your input as far as the animation looks like before I start making the rest of the templates and start creating characters with it.

The Main Character animation:

Here's the Template so far:

*Removed since it served it's purpose already*

Also, please keep in mind that I cannot go more than 3 frames per direction on the characters, since Rpgmaker 2003 only allows 3 frames of animation per sprite as far as field/map charasets go like... and I want this template to be compatible with the program and also that other people can use it in any indie game. Thanks in advance.

UPDATE:

The Main Antagonist animation (walking):

So what do you guys think so far? Let me know.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 01:26:40 am by Antifarea »

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Re: 24x32 RPG character template / animations

Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 08:22:41 am

The sprite looks nice.

Buuut... nobody walks with feet pointing sideways and arms straight down flicking their wrists from side to side. If you tried it you'd probably do a penguin dive into the pavement.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 08:36:08 am by ErekT »

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 11:24:16 am
hmm I made another arm movement variation over ErikT's edit. I wonder if this could also work

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 11:01:58 pm
ErekT & Froli= Thanks a lot guys, I used your edits as references to make the following update:

Right.

Down.

And the sheet here:

So what do you guys think... template ready for mass production?  ;D

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 06:06:45 am
Looking better but in the front view the arms still look somewhat static because there's no change in light and shadow. If you look at Froli's edit you'll see he only uses the brighter skin colors for the arm when it's raised up. This gives the impression that light hits the arm because its raised, and recieves less light when it swings back. This kind of thing is important to maintain the illusion that his arms are moving back and forth.

EDIT:
Yeah, the right side view looks good. Maybe you could move his shoulder a bit too?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 06:22:33 am by ErekT »

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 10:39:27 am
Looking better but in the front view the arms still look somewhat static because there's no change in light and shadow. If you look at Froli's edit you'll see he only uses the brighter skin colors for the arm when it's raised up. This gives the impression that light hits the arm because its raised, and recieves less light when it swings back. This kind of thing is important to maintain the illusion that his arms are moving back and forth.

EDIT:
Yeah, the right side view looks good. Maybe you could move his shoulder a bit too?

Thanks, I can't believe I forgot about the whole light / shadow on the arms... shame on me since this is something that I almost always keep in mind. I agree with you on the right direction static shoulder situation, and I have made the necessary changes to it, again something that I missed out from your edit earlier... I also had someone in OGA tell me about the same thing.  ;)

Anyways, here's the final update sheet.  :)

I will be editing this post or posting the animated .gifs with the changes, as well I might put animations of the template itself... even though I covered the major animation issues with this update, I will be showing the new child template and also extra animated poses of the existing template, cause this main character will cut bushes and all that crap in the game haha, so yeah, expect me posting more stuff in this thread. Thanks again.

EDIT:

Okay, animated .gif created for Heath. Will take some time to upload the template animations.  ;)

I declare it finished as it is... thanks again everyone.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 11:00:42 am by Antifarea »

Offline TripleM

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 01:43:08 am
Very cool man I would love to c u put more time into this and maybe have it become a game one day. It seems to me that you put a lot of time into pixeling and I hope u keep it up : D
Pixels make my head work. Not hurt

Offline Knighty

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 02:21:37 am
The hair when he's facing up doesn't make much sense. In the other directions, the white hair in on his left side, but in the Up sprite it's on his right.
Also in the up sprite, it looks like his feet are a bit backwards, I changed it a bit so it looks more like the feet are facing away.

Something like this.

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 01:31:27 am
@ TripleM: I do put a lot of time, but been a little lazy lately cause of having other things to do haha. Anyways, thanks, and yes, these characters and the template is for a project I'm working on my own... now, question is if I will have enough time to get it done and released.  :-[

@ Knighty: Thanks for noting that, fixed. Here is the result...

@ Everyone who reads this and can give input:

Worked some more on some of the characters, and need some help with this other character... mainly on the up direction animation.

Also, check the main post, as I updated it and put up all the directions for this same character. I also deleted the bad animations from the photobucket account, so you'll see some blank squares on the earlier posts.