AuthorTopic: My isometric tiles c+c plz  (Read 18132 times)

Offline madmenyo

• View Profile

My isometric tiles c+c plz

on: May 07, 2011, 12:58:34 pm
First time i'm creating isometric tiles. They will be for my game which will have sort of similar art style as Jagged Alliance. I am looking for ways on how to improve these tiles, any help is really appriciated!

Offline madmenyo

• View Profile

Re: My isometric tiles c+c plz

Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 12:48:22 pm
No crits yet? I know it's not exactly pixel art but i don't know other places to go get some c+c on these. I really like to improve them, there must be someone around that knows something about isometric game tiles and the style i'm trying to capture. Anyway, imported them in my editor, here are the concrete walls in action, the dirt is just a place holder but it's going to be used with 4+ variations of it.

I will be importing the wood too and post it, but first need to make some code for the windows. -edit- Just did that real quickly :D

Ps. I will be making some outside walls with more dirt and leakings on them.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 01:06:58 pm by madmenyo »

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 01:26:44 pm
Perhaps making the other side of the wall darker? here is a quick edit

Offline madmenyo

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 01:31:27 pm
Yeah, i did that with the wood, but i will be making a new tile instead of just mirroring it as in the corner it looks obviously mirrored.

Also, for the outer walls i will make more worn tiles.

Offline madmenyo

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 02:04:33 pm
Thanks you, but the sims is certainly not the style i'm after :D.

I need to go from:

to:

Some people need to take a leak against my walls i guess :D.

Offline Martyr

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 03:40:41 pm
Oh sweet, an isometric game is totally something on my to-do list.

Anyway, I assume the gray walls are concrete-ish? If so, I'd suggest you tone down the edging on the concave parts and add more (subtle) variation to it.
What are the blue stripes for? They don't make sense. If it's for decoration, then try just having the lower half painted, if it's for orientation purposes, try having a single, broad stroke. Could also try breaking up the wall into concrete slabs:

http://www.bayformgalway.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/wall-at-headford-road1.jpg

Maybe with some (rusty) bolts embedded into them. If these are supposed to be placed outside, have some dirt on the bottom. If they're indoors, have some shadow at the top.

Panels look too "perfect", all perfectly straight with too little colour and grain variation. All the nails are perfectly placed, spice it up a bit.

/e I didn't actually read your post so pardon me if some things have already been pointed out.

/e2 Windows really should be framed.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 06:21:16 pm by Martyr »

Offline madmenyo

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 08:02:46 pm
Good sugestion about the windows, they where a little on the large size anyway imo.

About the detail, i can't bring in too much detail as tiling will get obvious, i'm planning to make 4 variations of regular tiles and i don't want tiling to be noticeable, unless you going to study it :D. I will be adding decoration to walls like posters, gravity, pipes, etc so that will break it up some more too. I guess i have to experiment some more to know with what i can get away with.

I do have trouble adding in those wood grains, i have only 6 tiles for each plank inc. the edge. Adding some hard contrast to some planks doesn't look that good.

I did have a go at another concrete tile but i'm not sure if i like it better, i did try to add those darker edges that get created when pouring concrete between those wooden boards. And took your advice on the bolts. Anyways here it is, lmk.

Offline Martyr

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 09:42:43 pm
Do you render out textured geometry or simply paint the wall from scratch?

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 03:57:14 am

Offline madmenyo

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 09:16:26 am
Do you render out textured geometry or simply paint the wall from scratch?

I paint it all from scratch, i made a template with the edges of the walls and floor on it.

We have a place for this kind of stuff:

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?board=17.0

Hmmm isn't that more of a 3D section? In this section i see a lot of 32*32 and lower spriting here in this section, my floor is 64*32 so it's not really lower spec then what i see in the normal pixel art section. Or is it a section for more realistic kind of art, still i'm doing isometric which has a lot to do with pixel art, but i'm looking for a more realistic style.