AuthorTopic: [WIP] Victorian thug dude  (Read 7955 times)

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

[WIP] Victorian thug dude

on: May 07, 2011, 10:12:23 am

Planned as part of a larger piece. Feel a bit stumped on the jacket shading though and am reluctant to go on until I figure out a way to do it right. What do you all think? Is the jacket shading ok? Am I dithering it to death? Any other issues? Feedback welcome  :y:

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Victorian thug dude

Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 09:39:11 pm
Here is what I see:

The shoulder looks great.

The parallel wrinkles in the forearm (bent arm) are disrupting the sense of form, making that look flat.  Give them a bit of a curve, maybe.

The torso area ... is ok, you could get away with it.  What if the folds in the torso of the coat were fewer and larger to represent thicker material, and you moved the finer drape to the pants instead?

If you haven't seen it, ConceptArt.org has a drapery tutorial here: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14739

Tourist

Offline Im King Louie

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 11:14:06 pm
You should have less wrinkles in the coat.  They don't really make much sense, either.  Creases should start at spots that pinch or bunch up the fabric and fan out across the jacket.  Having the creases start at the armpits and waist are common, I think.

Offline alex pang

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 11:16:15 pm
His shoulders are to broad.

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 07:34:37 am

Thanks all. Very nice and informative tutorial there, Tourist :y: Drawing cloth has been a real horror for me sometimes. But no longer.. hopefully ::)

Better?

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 02:16:33 am
I think this is much better.  You could pull the fold on ---> this side up under the collar or up to the shadows under the arm to see how it looks, but this is good.

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 07:29:58 am
Cool! :)

I tried changing the fold: right hand image. It breaks symmetry with the other side more which is good. Not sure which I like better yet. I may have to tweak the right hand one some more before I decide.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 09:20:38 am
There is so much brightness/highlights at his left shoulder, would it better if it's a bit subtle? I made this sloppy edit  :)

[additional edit]
I forgot to address this parts, sorry about that.
I made a fast edit on the pants to make it look slim <don't know if it serves it purpose, perhaps baggy pants is better>, then raised the right arm by 1 pixel.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 10:47:46 am by Froli »

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 09:54:23 am
Ooooh!  That's a great edit man :) I love how you cleaned up the pixel clusters and added the little red secondary light on the sleeve. Tweaked my palette too didn't ya? Dig it, thanks :y: I'll be back soon-ish with an update.

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 06:28:58 pm

Final update for the time-being. Thanks again for the help people, much appreciated :)