AuthorTopic: Another Harvest Moon Tileset WIP  (Read 9902 times)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: Another Harvest Moon Tileset WIP

Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 01:37:09 pm
Everyone read Tsugumo's tutorial, and so I've seen ALOT of Seiken3 grass. A little too much. I suggest for the sake of originality you try to search for a different style of grass. Besides it doesn't fit in, it's too "busy" too look at. You want the grass very smooth...

Offline neverest

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 05, 2006, 06:16:55 pm
what with the squarish nature of the tiling anyway, when I look at the well it really just pops out as a big square. I'd recommend shrinking the width of the pillars to break the shape of the tiles.
Also the grass would really benefit from left/right edge tiles, as well as corners. Having a proper grass/dirt transition at the front but nowhere else looks a bit odd.

Looking nice though, the water is a big improvement.

Offline Mr.Modem

• My avatar is more outdated than yours...
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 05, 2006, 07:12:35 pm
I'm aware about the lack of grass/dirt transitions. I didn't want to do the rest before I was completely finished with the grass and dirt tiles. Gil made a strong point, you see Seiken Densetsu 3 grass tiles everywhere because of that tutorial and because they're so good. I think I'll give the grass tiles another go and maybe I come up with something a little more original. 
Nobody is perfect. I'm nobody.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #13 on: May 06, 2006, 12:24:34 pm
To make transitions, I use a double circle, like this:

It gives alot of tiling possibilities

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Reply #14 on: May 06, 2006, 02:45:34 pm
@fil_razorback: Sorry to hear that you don't like the grass. I personally like the Seiken Densetsu 3 (did I spell it right?) style very much and I'm quite happy with my grass tiles. I think it will look much better when I  add more transitiontiles between the grass and the dirt. And no it's not an edit I made it completely from scratch (with seiken as a reference).

I obviously like it and see that it is not an edit, but I hink you could do it in a more personnal way. This one has become very common :(