AuthorTopic: [WIP] [C+C] Some tiles for a mockup  (Read 2793 times)

Offline Voxxitronic

• It's an adjective.
    • View Profile

[WIP] [C+C] Some tiles for a mockup

on: May 04, 2011, 12:37:30 am
I've done some more spriting recently and I've come up with an idea for a small game, all about decisions you make.
I've made a small amount of tiles for it and I hope to get some criticism on them.

Currently, I have trouble keeping style looking consistent from blocks to other objects, and I need to look more into lighting.
I also have trouble lighting metals, like the metal pillar you see there. I do love the style of the metal blocks, though.
The thing on the far right is the player. Thanks!  :)

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] [C+C] Some tiles for a mockup

Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 02:11:37 am
I'm digging the brick tile way to the left. Love the illusion of thin lines that make it look like it was painted with watercolors. Other tiles, not so much. Outlines can still be seen on many of them, and once you take a closer look the lighting's pretty bad too. I think this is most apparent on the rock face and bunny-statue.

Offline Voxxitronic

• It's an adjective.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 02:27:13 am
They're supposed to have outlines.   :sry:
The individual stone and iron blocks are supposed to be blocks on their own, with their own outline. The rock texture is a texture, so it won't get an outline.  The left stone block is not really even supposed to have one, I need to fix that. The lighting is bad, I need to work on it. :l
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 02:29:34 am by Voxxitronic »

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 02:52:33 am
They're supposed to have outlines.   :sry:

All I'm saying is, it looks bad, regardless of whether or not it was a stylistic choice. If it is there's certainly better ways to go about it. If you thought I meant "having an outline on the outside", that's not quite what I meant. I meant more having them all over their insides in order to define shapes. While very faint, you can still see the lines, thus shapes seem more... Over-defined once you notice.

...But I think your main problem here is the lighting. Here's a quick bunny-statue edit in which I fixed it. (Sort of.) Not sure how I'm going to achieve the "watercolor" look, though...
:(

By the way, I might have added more contrast to the palette. Judging by the minuscule size of the sprites, namely player, the final game looks like it's going to be played at... 2x? In which case I suppose the lines will be bigger and thus more noticeable, but contrast is good anyway.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 02:56:58 am by pistachio »

Offline Voxxitronic

• It's an adjective.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 11:39:41 pm
Ah. That does look like an improvement. I'll work on that.