AuthorTopic: Yellow Car  (Read 7271 times)

Offline aukyr

• View Profile

Yellow Car

on: April 10, 2011, 11:07:32 pm
Hi, this is my first thing here. You guys are amazing!
This is for a game, I will make many more of them in many colors. I'd like to hear your crits before jumping into new one. My first "3d lowpoly model that has pixelated textures" I don't know how to call it : ) Forgive the noob.

Blender 2.5 and Paint.net.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Yellow Car

Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 02:42:03 am
Why is the first thing I think of GTA IV?  :P

Anyway, the model itself is cute. I think it's the texturing that needs work. Try to define your light-source and make planes closer to that light-source, you know, lighter. Assuming this car has a metal shell like any normal car, consider adding some edge highlights as well. It should help define sharp corners. And for some reason, it looks like you saved the texture as a JPEG, unless all that noise is intentional.

Excuse me for tossing all this terminology around, I tend to do that.

Offline aukyr

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 07:30:26 am
Thanks,
Yes I totally agree that texture looks like suffering from JPEG deblocking. But no, I didn't save it as JPEG, but I made that scattering myself : ) . I tried to achieve something like Minecraft's textures, but obviously I failed. I'm trying to achieve the looks of Kenneth Fejer's lowpoly models: http://www.kennethfejer.com/lowpoly.html . I will repaint textures this weekend, I will make it more blockier and clean to get rid of JPEG deblocking like look. I can't believe that how I sucked so bad on painting : )

Anyways, the part I'm most confident is the under of the car, what do you say does that part also needs re-painting?

I'm not sure how to use light on this? Use the pixelled texture and project light on it than export the lighted textures, and use them as textures?

Offline piffany

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 02:10:26 am
Umm how about adding a few more details such as a license plate, a muffler, and a windshield wiper?
--Piffany
Disclaimer: I am still fairly new at pixel art, so please don't be offended by my negative critiques :)