AuthorTopic: Victorian girl  (Read 45384 times)

Offline juuska

• View Profile

Re: Victorian girl

Reply #60 on: May 18, 2011, 10:46:50 am
I maybe spelled my thoughts little incorrectly. What I meant was that when holding a rose atleast I find her upper palm (I'm not sure if it's left or right :P) bended oddly. In that situation her palm should be kinda relaxed and almost straight, not tensed in almost 90 degrees angle.

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Reply #61 on: May 18, 2011, 01:15:35 pm
I maybe spelled my thoughts little incorrectly. What I meant was that when holding a rose atleast I find her upper palm (I'm not sure if it's left or right :P) bended oddly. In that situation her palm should be kinda relaxed and almost straight, not tensed in almost 90 degrees angle.

I actually see that now. Her wrists are bent back making her knuckles almost facing the camera. This would make sense, but her elbows are bent out too far for that to be comfortable. Try it, try making your arms point at each other and then bend your wrists back. It's almost painful (unless somehow my wrists are really un-flexible).

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #62 on: May 18, 2011, 02:04:29 pm
Hmm, I actually had my wife strike the pose initially, which I then used for my primary hands/arms ref. Had her hold a long wooden spoon hehe. No roses nearby!
But, I dunno. Better knock out the biggest flaws first. Steam and time are running out.

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #63 on: May 18, 2011, 05:57:27 pm
New face is much more realistic.  :y:

I don't think her teeth should be visible any more. You might want to try closing her mouth again.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #64 on: May 20, 2011, 06:57:46 am
Interesting observation. Tried closing it. But eh, I dunno. It being slightly ajar, to me, indicates she's thinking, maybe talking to herself, maybe wrapped up in the moment unaware her mouth isn't closed like you might expect.

I haven't attempted to edit a few things I thought I might, but I'm pretty much happy enough to release this project. For having never done a digi paint like this before I'm satisfied enough to call it complete at this point.
Next time though, I'll certainly tighten the reigns on a few issues, and do more fundamental planning, considering the whole picture before I get too deep into it.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 07:33:26 am by Mathias »

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Reply #65 on: May 20, 2011, 07:12:47 am
Incredible! It has come a very long way.

If you want to share the piece, I suggest posting it here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #66 on: May 20, 2011, 04:34:32 pm
Thanks, Mush.

WHOA, did you see this one? The completed scene is so hi-res my computer wouldn't even be able to handle it. And like my simple victorian girl here, he used multiple files and exported finalized pieces (the individual chars) into the final scene. LOVE the detail sections. What nice painting technique.

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #67 on: May 20, 2011, 04:59:28 pm
congratulations Mathias!

I would have bled to have had a first attempt at a digital painting to have been this good. The progress was very fun to see and yes it has definitely come a long way.

Im only sad that Photoshop doesnt have some interconnective capability to allow multiple people to paint on the same canvas, id absolutely love to do daily practice sessions in an environment like that, so that we could in the end, paint like Joel does in that conceptart link you provided. (OC isnt a comfortable enoguh environment to do my best work)

Excellent thread here mate.

edit: oops - yeah i know its not your FIRST digital painting EVER, but i was responding to your quote - "For having never done a digi paint like this before" - so yeah amend that to say that its still impressive for your first attempt at something "like this" :)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 03:00:40 am by st0ven »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #68 on: May 23, 2011, 09:39:35 pm
Thank you much, st0ven! I don't know that I would call this my first attempt at a digi paint - though, it's certainly my first at this size/detail/realisticness.

Just FYI, there will be a little change to her dress I have to make, then I suppose I should also post here the final version, cropped to the book cover dims, complete with stylized book title above her, so stay tuned for that. Might even do a creative wrap-around back-cover, too. Anyway, will post relatively soon, then we can put this thread to much-deserved rest.

Can't thank everyone enough, that lent suggestions and observations, and especially edits. You guys rock.

Offline ||||

• The brand with four stripes
    • llll_lijj
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=30996&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #69 on: July 01, 2012, 04:52:37 am
Oh no! Not a necrobump.
I just wanted to say I enjoyed looking at the progress on this.
 I like certain aspects of it very much (the fine details on the lace and patterns mainly) The face came out nice and the hair is very nice (I couldn't get it so realistic). But the overall pic, with that airbrushed looking background doesn't look too professional; and  the way the dress and corset meet seems unfinished still. Although it appears there may be something under the dress right were they meet, making it look that way. Even if so, it still seems less refined in that area.
 I just wanted to post my thoughts on it because I've looked through this a few times now.
(edit actually the hair's amazing and must've taken some time)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 04:57:24 am by |||| »