AuthorTopic: Victorian girl  (Read 45395 times)

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Victorian girl

Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 07:49:19 pm
@Puppet - Thanks again, bromey. Things like fine-tuned make-up will come last. I'll treat make-up like a retoucher does when editing model photos. Does the updated face do better for you? And the hair, oy, the hair I expect to be a challenge. One curl test-shaded next to her hair. She has raven black hair so giving it some definitive shading to avoid it all looking like a lumpy ball of blackness hugging her skull will be the priority.

@ blumunkee - All excellent points, man!
The one about not doing paint-over lines in black really makes sense. I'm always fighting against my black and white sketch layer when starting to paint because those high-contrast colorless lines gotta be covered up if you're not doing an "outlined" style. From now what I'll do is probably still draw in B&W but then prep the sketch layer by lowering contrast and colorizing it according to the main color clusters/areas so I get a huge jump on blending everything together. Can't wait to try it. (I don't like painting under the sketch layer on a new layer because when you hide it you get unexpected results, better to paint right on top of a copy of it . . . I think)

Oh yes I've see those threads, better re-read them, though. Thanks.

Yes, set the bg luminosity/general mood early, that's a good one. So, I did.

By far, the most problematic issue you touched on, for me, is the style balancing one - trying to go painterly but ending up all airbrushy. I have a compulsive gradient smoothing problem. My strokes are very unconfident, I tend to light stroke a million times in the same spot until any painterly quality is converted to trashy airburshiness. This I expect toi rectify itself with both gradual painting maturity and attention to the issue as I work.

I'm trying to keep this project 2 main layers, bg and fg, and not use too many PS cheats, but in the name of speed I'm giving in here and there.

scaled 30%
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 06:09:05 pm by Mathias »

Offline Puppet

• Nom, I'm a Panda.
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 08:55:13 pm
Such a huge improvement upon her head! It looks much better then when you had started.
I can't actually give you any more constructive points upon the head anymore haha.

Is the body going to be on the book cover as well?
Because I think you're trying to go for the hourglass body shape, of which her hips need to be a bit wider, where her breasts are they look too.. Big for her, I think it could be because of how broad her shoulders are making the image look like she's far to top heavy in my opinion, I'm not very good at anatomy so I can't really say a lot but when I looked over that topic early it really opened my eyes to a womens body curves and what not, maybe going over there to find a typical body shape and try drawing that could be benificial. Her chest goes a bit to far down, making it seem like she has aged breasts ( Putting it politely hehe), most 18ish year olds have perky breasts (not trying to sound like a perv) so maybe highering them can help as well as sorting out a few anatomy aspects upon her.
I don't mean to be so critical I just know you've only got a few days left to perfect it really befor you can hand it in and I want to be useful.  :)
I'm Just a Panda In a Panda Eat Panda World. Panda, Panda.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 12:42:51 am
Body will be visible on cover, cropped a bit below belly button . . . I think. That's the layout/composition plan so far.

You highlight a general problem plaguing her from day 1 - she's a girl with a woman's body.

Don't ever worry about giving polite crit, like you do. If the recipient doesn't appreciate it, they're not worth the time helping. I readily admit I'm over my head with this project. Fresh eyes are highly valuable! Thanks, Puppetmaster!

I think I better pause the general polish phase and see if I can rectify the anat wonks, I've been ignoring them 'till now. Smart huh!?

« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 12:44:52 am by Mathias »

Offline Puppet

• Nom, I'm a Panda.
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 12:53:38 am
Yikes! I nearly forgot something!
The hands, I feel they're far to big for her as well. Most girls I hang round with are roughly my height so like 5"7 and have small and skinny hands. Take Taylor swift for example if you've seen her hands they're quite skinny as are her arms. I think Taylor Swift is the kind of body and anatomy you should try to follow as the face has been focused upon her refference.
Also her wrists and forehands are suffering from the hands behind so large due to her head being smaller in comparision to her body.

Hehe PuppetMaster, I'm far from Master. You're much closer to it then I am. I've just been hovering around the Oblivion nexus for around 5 years so you can really pick up views and points due to the meshes and the problems people have with them.

Pausing the general polish is a brilliant idea for now till you get the anatomy better sorted to suit her. Because you may scratch several areas of her body to redefine her. You've got face dead on target now though! So keep it up man, I know you can do this in time.
I'm Just a Panda In a Panda Eat Panda World. Panda, Panda.

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 05:23:53 am
Very cool thread. I especially like the workspace pic.

As mentioned before, her face has really improved since the first pic  :y:

Anatomy looks good.

The major thing I feel is lacking in this piece is atmosphere, tone, emotion, setting. Where is she? What time of the day is it? The background suggests she's standing in a foggy marsh, but the girl's colors says she's standing under one of those photography umbrellas in a bright studio.

You need to think about how the light source and reflected light play on the skin's natural tone. Basically you should consider how the environment affects the figure's colors. 

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 05:39:55 am
Nice crit, Mush. That's something I wasn't really thinking too much about right now. And though the bg is placeholder, the real deal will be about the same exact thing just a little more refined I guess. So, your crit certainly stands. The bust area does have some over-zealous highlights. Highlighting the crap out of everything is a habit of mine. The material in question is satin. I'll study on how to represent satain accurately, it's a tough one. I'll probably be resorting to PS curves adjustments; take the expedient road! Thanks, dude.

(and what the heck, these pics have a different gamma than does PS . . . darker shadows and details are all blacked out . . . crappington)

*EDIT*

this is what I see in PS

« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 09:10:04 am by Mathias »

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 08:21:58 am
Hello.

I think it's getting really good and I agree with all the feedback above. Ribcage and shoulders still look pretty broad for someone who likely sits holed up in a room knitting most of the time, so I tried to pinch the area from shoulders to stomach a little bit:

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 05:20:17 pm
Did ErekT just use PS!?

Arrggh; agreed, erect. Still with the anat plaguery. I'm in the wrong business. I should just lay flooring for a living. Oh wait, I already do. Next Update, less ribs.

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 06:42:03 pm
Did ErekT just use PS!?

Hoho, hell no! :lol: GIMP all the way girl :y:

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile