AuthorTopic: Hutch the Rabbit [Early WIP]  (Read 7894 times)

Offline redballoon

• View Profile

Re: Hutch the Rabbit [Early WIP]

Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 10:41:14 pm
No, I see what you are getting it, especially from your edit. But, from your edited version, the rabbit is now devoid of any stylist character what-so-ever. It looks like a standard western-ised rabbit design, though. My original version follows my style and it's fun to break (or bend) the rules, isn't it? We don't really want everything to look similar.
and the majority of people who look don't get it, and you'll probably have to redo it.
well, yeah, the majority of people in here..well, the ones that have replied..haven't got it. Various other places where the design has been posted people have got it, which, from my point of view, the design has succeeded.
First off what Puppet said about ditching the outlines is kinda right. From experience I find that black outlines don't really look good. On a draft of the sprite, perhaps.
Oh, I know. I'm going to be doing a version without the black outline. Part of me has delusions of grandeur think of Super Mario World 2 : Yoshi's Island.
Then, do you really need dithering on a sprite this small
Yeah, i know. I can't decide on this. There's a good chance I will make the colour palette quite small, so this may indeed change.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 11:10:07 pm
No, I see what you are getting it, especially from your edit. But, from your edited version, the rabbit is now devoid of any stylist character what-so-ever. It looks like a standard western-ised rabbit design, though. My original version follows my style and it's fun to break (or bend) the rules, isn't it? We don't really want everything to look similar.

Fun, perhaps, but the result still looks bad. To me at least. I'm generally about as fond of "it's that way because it's my style" excuses as I am of bad sprites.
Which is not very much.

Well it depends on what kind of game this would be in. Is it a platformer? Head-on?
Or carrying a bit of iso-perspective with it, like the Savage World mockup?

So far my best guess, though, is that this will be in an isometric game. If I'm wrong about that, though, and if you really miss the head so much, just change the feet.

EDIT: Oh. Platformer. Yeah, change the feet.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 02:35:15 am by pistachio »

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 02:35:21 am
well, yeah, the majority of people in here..well, the ones that have replied..haven't got it. Various other places where the design has been posted people have got it, which, from my point of view, the design has succeeded.

It kinda resembles like an ant to me rather than a rabbit, plus it does look isometic specially with the casted shadows and how the character's feet is aligned.  And don't dismiss Pistachio's edit entirely because he corrected some issues + the new colors.  :)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 02:46:16 am by Froli »

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: May 07, 2011, 03:07:08 am
I put this together for another poster last year.  A reference of some cute floppy-eared bunnies.  Don't know if it helps any:

What you've got looks a bit like a character from Sam and Max, so people may connect it with a bunny.  But I agree with Pistachio's crits.

Tourist
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 03:08:47 am by Tourist »

Offline redballoon

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 09:45:21 pm
Yip, I will re-colour him. I'm not going to change the design - no need, really. I asked my 4 year old son what he thought it was when he saw it for the first time (the animated version, below), "A RABBIT!", he shouted as he left the room. It's good enough for me :) . Anyway, here's the 8 frame walking animation. Just the line mono version until I add the colour.

I think I need to animate where the ears join the head as those parts are a bit too static and would bounce slightly.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 10:03:30 pm by redballoon »

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 06:02:36 am
Yip, I will re-colour him. I'm not going to change the design - no need, really. I asked my 4 year old son what he thought it was when he saw it for the first time (the animated version, below), "A RABBIT!", he shouted as he left the room. It's good enough for me :) . Anyway, here's the 8 frame walking animation. Just the line mono version until I add the colour.

I think I need to animate where the ears join the head as those parts are a bit too static and would bounce slightly.

Is your 4 year old son a pixel artist? ::)

I still have a problem with the buck teeth. Perhaps adding a line just to the left of where the nose and teeth meet should define a mouth and leave it more readable.

Also, the head's strangely static considering he's running, as well as the body which only stays in one place. Make it move side to side some more, perhaps?

Tell you what, here's a walk cycle tutorial that might help you.